Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

The Raconteurs, simply said, a great band consisting of Detroit musicians, including The White Stripes' own Jack White. The sound varies, from heavily synthesized, keyboard oriented songs to more melodic-centered ballads. Influences to the band such as jazz and experimental classic rock shine through, making each and every song unique.

Jack White and Brendan Benson are simply some of the best lyricists of modern rock. Although some lyrics do not have any connection, the collection of the random lyrics makes for interesting, unique arrangements. For the most part, the lyrics and music stay within harmony. The vocals between Brendan and Jack are phenomonal, a perfect balance between the two distinct voices.

I have never experienced a CD quite like "Broken Boy Soldiers". Starting off with the mainstream "Steady, As She Goes" and ending with the blues-oriented "Blue Veins", the great mix of musical styles makes for one great album. To myself, I have most enjoyed the tracks "Together", "Level", and "Yellow Sun". I had previously heard "Store Bought Bones" on The Raconteurs website, which is one of the most synthesized songs on the album. I like the originality, but it's not really what I'm used to, so it's not one of my favorites. I would definately purchase this album again, stolen, lost, broken, whatever. Truly, this is the most original and unique album I own, and I am proud to have it in my collection.

stagasarus8
    what was wrong with get behind me satan i think that album is geniues just because he didn't play that much guitar in it isn't a reson to not like
    stagasarus8
    Einkunst wrote: It's a great album, but I'm ****ing disappointed in how narrow minded some of you people are. It's like you wanted 10 "Steady, As She Goes" on there, or another White Stripes album to make up for "Get Behind Me Satan". The Raconteurs are a new band, forget who the individual members are, they are a new band. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone who's commented, just some of you. And, what's with all this bashing of "Together"? It's a great song, it's got this thing that you Kerrang! readers probably don't recognise called a melody. It's the Blues. You can feel heart and soul in it. So it's not a 2 minute garage rock thrash? So what? Fuck off and listen to ****ing Evanescence.
    Danielle202
    this album is absolutly alsome, jack and brendons voices complement each other nicly,patrick and little jack have an excellent rythm section which is highlighted in broken boy soldier, its an album that i have a hard time trying to pick a favourite, theres no filler songs, just 100% quality.
    Einkunst
    I wasn't saying that I didn't like it because he hardly plays guitar. I'm just saying that it's really not very good. All bands record a bad album at some point, and Get Behind Me Satan was theirs. You can't say they've done badly, only recording a bad album on their 6th attempt, but it is defiantely crap, and there's no way of denying it.
    DirtyFryBassGuy
    CORRECTION: Get Behind Me Satan was their fifth album, and if you look at just about every review out there, they say that it's their best album yet. Personally, I agree. Jack is brilliant. Just because every song on it isn't guitar doesn't mean it sucks. The mandolin and piano show that he is flexible when it comes to music. Also, the guitar is just plain out of this world. I don't care what you think, but I think that it's his best work yet. ----Collin