Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

Alright. Here's the thing, if you're a White Stripes fan, the only thing you're going to like about this album is the fact that Jack White is in it. That's it. He doesn't sing lead on every song, although there are several which he does and, personally, I've always been a fan of his voice so that's a great thing. To describe any band's sound is a tricky thing. You'll get cliches in your head like "prog/funk/emo/jazz/rockadelia/kangaroo" or whatever. So I'm going to try to avoid that and just say that these guys are straightup '60s/70's revival. White's vocals on this album are almost reminiscent of Robert Plant, and the combination of White and Brendan Benson's guitars are the closest thing modern rock has seen to what the Beatles used to do. The best thing about this album is that it's not afraid to jump from genre to genre. It sounds like an indie album, yes. But it's not limited to that! From the flat-out rock anthem 'Steady As She Goes' (no doubt you've all heard) to the psychadelic 'Store Bought Bones' and ending with the floaty blues extravaganza that is 'Blue Veins'. There's not a rotten apple in this bunch.

The lyrics aren't especially deep or mindblowing but in my opinion lyrics are somewhat overrated to begin with. As I said above, this album feels to me like a revival of the classic rock movement, in which lyrics were never really of utmost importance. I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed White's singing on this album. I'm not even a White Stripes fan!

My favorite track on this album is "Together". Why? I don't know. It's got a lingering keyboard track in the background that almost reminds me of the slower stuff that the Doors used to play. If you're into shredding and perfectly constructed solos, then this is just not something you're going to be interested in. There are very few fills/solos in the songs, and they're meant to be simplistic. I like it that way. The only letdown about this album is it's length. 10 tracks just, it feels like it ends right after you put it in. Although, it's interesting how well they made this album flow, the tracks seem to merge into each other perfectly. If they do release another album, god willing, I'll buy it.

electr8r
    Awesome!!! The only song that's not great is "Call It A Day". Here's my favorite songs, and why! 1. Store Bought Bones - Holy Crap!!! The organ and slide guitar are like heaven on this track. This song is like a Funky Folk Deep Purple! Then you got the guitar solo with the funky bass and driving drums. 2. Level - I know it's short and finishes too fast, but that's all it needs. First of all, Jack and Brandon's vocals are top notch, and it's good to hear them sing back at each other. Then, the awesome guitar solo. I can't explain how cool it is and original. 3. Together - Reminds me of the Beatles kinda. This is my favorite soft rock song this year. Nice melodic beat.
    Geek_Aus
    I loved get behind me satan. i always hear people saying that the nurse sucked, but i liked it...it was a nice mellow song. as for raconteurs...not what i expected, but good all the same. my favourite songs are probably steady as she goes, blue veins, broken boy soldier and yellow sun.
    Acoustisoul
    I'd give this Album a 9/10, All the songs are good, but it wasn't the longest album ever. I'd say it was like 1/3 the length of an OPETH album. But I like it, I like it a lot.