Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

Tha Raconteurs debut album is a breath of fresh air in todays music. Each song is arranged very well and sung very well. There isn't much in the way of innovation as each song is mostly based off of a catchy riff and powerchords. I really enjoyed this Album because most of the songs are about a girl or something that you can relate with. It just creates feel good atmosphere.

The lyrics are well written and I can gaurantee that most of the album is about about a girl or I gotta get a girl so there isn't much variety. That's not a bad thing mind you. The band has to vocalist Brendan Benson and Jack White of White Stripes fame. Both of there voices are so similar in Pitch that in Songs like "Level" it's not even noticable when one person has stopped singing and a different one has begun. That having been said the vocals blend very well.

The Raconteurs music is very different than that of the White Stripes. It's much more refined than the raw Stripes sound. But I'm sure any Stripes fan will appreciate this CD anyway. The songs "Hands" and "Level" are worth the purchase alone. There isn't anything I really hate about this album and if somebody stole it I would chase them down and beat the living crap out of them.

indie_libertine
    Geek_Aus wrote: I loved get behind me satan. i always hear people saying that the nurse sucked, but i liked it...it was a nice mellow song.
    lol if you ask me the nurse made up for all of megs drumming My faves off broken boy soldiers were level, steady as she goes, intimate secretary and store bought bones but blue veins pissed all over those blue veins is the essence of the blues distilled into a song jacks backwards singing is ****ing amazing btw does anybody know what he's singing?
    Glen'sHeroicAct
    great album. im pissed it was so short though. i wouldnt mind if they didnt even add any more songs, just made some of the ones they already had on there longer. like blue veins... the best song i've ever heard. i think the backwards singing is the verse that comes after it, but backwards or something. because you definately hear the words "i think its gonna rain" in the backwards stuff. anyway, it was so great. man. i love how he adds so much emotion by trying to fit a bunch of words into measure. like he doesnt even care about the song, he just wants to get out what he has to say. definately should've been longer. steady as she goes was pretty good for a normal solid song, and broken boy soldier and store bought bones were great. the thing that made me most angry about it though was that there were no guitar solos. i was hoping jack white would do some soloing with an entire band. but for an album with the closest thing to a solo being long distorted notes held forever, or quiet fast licks in the background, they sure made that album sound good. cant wait for their next.
    mike_anderson25
    These guys r fricken awesome live, just like the stripes, and hu said the nurse off get behind me satan was mellow?? hav u listend to da lyrics?? jesus! its one of da most chilling songs ive heard in ages! its awesome!!