Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

I searched high and low for this album looking for what most other people were looking for: Steady As She Goes. This CD has such a warm sound. There's nothing grungy about it. It's very warm and very clean. This CD was hard to find because of a Jack White lawsuit that pulled CD's off the shelves. Any one who buys this CD now will have to buy it by the "Saboteurs". An australian band sued the Raconteurs for stealing their band name and the boys were forced to change it. The band uses some really neat effects on their guitars in songs like Broken Boy Soldiers and Level.

Jack White is definitely not famous for his lyrics. The lyrics are fairly simple. "Girl you got those eyes that see Help me find the good that's inside me 'Cause you're the only one who really knows How the feeling comes and why it goes." However, some things are best simple. I believe that they could be a bit more intricate but all the songs have their themes communicated effectively. The singers, Brenden Benson and Jack White, are amazing. I love Jack Whites scratchy voice, juxtaposed with Brenden Bensons smooth voice creates a wonderful harmony in songs like Hands and Steady As She Goes.

This is my favorite album I have ever bought. I searched two provinces for it, but eventually found it in my city. I don't think this compare to anything else. Not even the next album by the Racontuers which debuts a country sound. The most impressive songs are Hands and my personal favorite, Blue Veins. Blue Veins is a bluesy jazzy little number that sends shivers up my spine. The beautiful piano and lyrics are just amazing. I dislike a couple songs that appear near the middle of the cd, continuing to the last. "Together", "Yellow Sun" and "Call it a Day" all sound so similar to me. They are very simple songs basically just using chords, and they all have a similar tempo. If this were lost of stolen I would go insane, because I can't get the exact same thing. I'd have to get the Saboteurs. I would do all I could to buy it again.

ofreena
    Oh don't compare "Together" to the Doors. Totally different. the Doors are my favorite band. "Together" is my least favorite song on this album/