Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

01. "Steady As She Goes" - A classic right off the bat. The lyrics are catchy and the vocal melodies will be stuck in your mind for ages! The tight drums and distorted chorus guitar really makes this a rockin' tune. 02. "Hands" - Another great rockin' tune. The lyrics may come off as sappy at first listen (as well as the singing) but the whole song grows on you as you keep on listening again and again. 03. "Broken Boy Soldier" - Amazing piece of music that integrates acoustic and electric guitar. The singing I believe is the key, jacks odd style of singing may not appeal to some at first listen, but he sure puts emotion into it. Like at 2:25. THE BOY! 04. "Intimate Secretary" - This song has a great intro that they play amazingly live. The lyrics, again, are cheesy to some, but they grow on you. I think this is the albums pop song. 05. "Together" - Beautiful acoustic song. Just beautiful. Yeah, maybe not for someone who can't feel the emotion in it. But I know I did! The vocal melodies are phenomenal. (1:11 or you'll get burned). 06. "Level" - Best song on the album hands down. Amazing guitar work, brilliant vocal rounding near the end. Tight rhythm section work. Just a well put together tune. 07. "Store Bought Bones" - A high energy song, very interesting and catchy bluesy guitar work in the background. Only thing I didn't like was the outro. 08. "Yellow Sun" - Another acoustic tune. It's a very upbeat catchy, happy tune. It's hard not to smile from this song. Or bring summer memories into your mind! 09. "Call It A Day" - A very mellow tune, a good soundtrack to turning into. Or falling asleep to. Very easy to get lost into Brendan's voice. 10. "Blue Veins" - A classic blues song. The chorus makes me melt. They say "your blue veins" in such a way it makes your spine tingle. Defiantly worth a listen.

The lyrics like I said were very catchy and simple sounding. The vocal melodies throughout the album were astounding. Brendan Benson does a lot of the vocal work in The Raconteurs especially on this album. Jack Lawrence does a few lines as well. Nothing to complain about here.

I would definitely buy this album if I could find it on vinyl! But anyone on the edge about buying it or looking into the raconteurs you will love it. Killer melodies. Awesome keyboard. Jack white noises. It's all good folks. On top of all this I mentioned. They are probably the best live band of today. They don't mess around with big light shows and fancy entrances. They are the real deal. Big rock guitars and talented musicians.