Between The Heart And The Synapse review by The Receiving End of Sirens

• Released: Apr 26, 2005
The Receiving End of Sirens: Between The Heart And The Synapse

This CD is something different; I don't think I've heard something like this before. I'll begin pointing that this band consists of five members (three guitars, bass, and drums), most of the songs are sung by three different voices making a very melodic experience, because each voice adds it's "personality to the song. Now, the sound of this band is a mixture of many genres, I really can't define it, it's a mixture of technical music (don't expect odd times like 23/16 or something like that, this band plays most of the time in clear 4/4, but they play with the notes and silences, and they do it in a way that it works just fine with the melody), with Sparta-like Indie music, add some "breakdowns" here and there, and finally clear voice singing with some screams. But clearly, all songs take you in a trip that you won't forget, it may take you two to three listens to the CD, but in the end you will dig it.

This must be the most creative lyrics I've ever read, this guys write in a poetic metaphoric way, narrating stories and combining adjectives with words that just can't have them: "Alongside all hearts, as they finish with backdrop cities, like jagged teeth digging deeper" (taken from The Rival Cycle song). The lyrics work fine with the three voices, and with the music they end up in pieces of art.

TREOS aren't like any other band you've ever heard, but they are like most of the things you've heard, they just play music in a creative way that not many people have heard, also they add computer noises and create different melodies with them in each track. The musical progressions are also things that you should listen closely, because they are very well done and each follows to more interesting parts in each song. The use of three guitars is well applied here, each guitar does different riffs and add different flavors to the mix, so don't expect to hear the same thing played over and over again, and if you do, it'll be in a different way. The bad thing is that you may need tow to three listens to actually enjoy this CD. I myself like too many genres of music, but fans of Sparta, Lines Into Phoenix, old Hopesfall and technical music (not complicated Meshuggah level) will dig this.

-tempest-
    Side Effect wrote: It's really sad to see a band make something this amazing and groundbreaking only to go their separate ways a couple years later. I can understand why they broke up bu t it sucks knowing you won't be getting something like this ever again.
    i couldn't agree more. they broke up for a good cause imo; the bassist didn't want to miss a second of his daughters growing up; that a pretty powerful reason if you ask me.
    harryberg1
    that wasn't the only reason thou... there thrid guitarist had a side project called The Dear Hunter and he was spending to much time on it so they decided to go there separate ways. So if you want something like this, but not this in the slightest look up the Dear Hunter
    -tempest-
    its on their myspace and in interviews, that he left the band for his kid. they made a record without casey. please like research this stuff lol. and it was my bad his kid was a son
    Freth
    this band is indeed great, does anyone know if/when they're gonna make a second album?
    Side Effect