Extended Play [EP] Review

9.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Extended Play [EP] Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on february 26, 2008

Sound: Snappy fun rock ditties are The Red Alert's specialty. They have a catchy grassroots rock vibe reminiscent of Rooney that will pull you right out of your seat, if not by the lead track The Only One from their 6-track EP Extended Play, then definitely by their second number Meet Me At My Place. The Red Alert is the creation of the brother and sister team Hank Hanewinkel III and Christy Hanewinkel from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Joining the fold is their Uncle Phillip who plays bass guitar and shows his stuff on the chunky rock grooves of Take Your Heart. Christy and Hank are die-hard fans of The White Stripes which shows in their enthusiasm for authentic rock. The lead vocals on the tracks are shared by Hank and Christy who offer completely different vocal textures. Christy sings lead on Only Want Loving and Feather Of The Wind with a super dulcet resonance reflective of Hayley Westerna, whereas Hank's vocals are more rugged and choppy similarly to Bright Eyes and John Fogerty. The album is a true family affair as Hank and Christy recorded the album in their father, Hank Charles Hanewinkel, Jr.'s studio Valcour Sound. The chord dynamics are melodic and plush moving like whispering breezes through the ballad Feather On The Wind and displaying punk rock gavels on the mid-tempo tune Pull Off Your Veil. Extended Play really shows The Red Alert's passion to play rock music. They have certainly caught the torch that continues rock music's present run to Mt. Olympus. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are reflective of emo-rock tunes by artists like Good Charlotte and One Republic speaking about the ups and downs entangling romantic affairs. The track The Only One has Hank spewing, You keep me guessing with all the signals you throw/ You keep me guessing and I would really like to know/ You've got me hoping, you're got me hoping all night/ We'll be together but I don't think I've got a chance/ Now it's apparent, well you don't want me around/ Your mind is made up and I can't seem to break it down/ My heart is breaking, it's breaking inside my chest/ I've tried to fix it, I'll try to do my very bestYou are the only one I love. The songs open portals for the emo-shots in the lyrics to take hold, making the songs accessible to people's lives. The lyrics also show a vulnerable side to Hank and Christy. // 8

Overall Impression: Though the songs have a grassroots rock pop and flow, they are also original sounding. Every track has its own character, its own distinct rhythmic patterns, transitional coves and vocal melody. Though Hank and Christy are still in their teens, their songs are serious about rock music. The album is not made up of fluff pieces, but music which rivaling musicians would find laudable. It's totally the case where the students become the teachers, and The Red Alert don't seem fearful of what their creativity can stir up. // 9

Comments