Lonely Road review by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

• Released: Feb 3, 2009
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus: Lonely Road

In their latest release the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus brings a new kind of sound to the table. Lonely Road, released February 3rd, 2009, strays away from the Rja's original sound going more pop-punk. RJA originally had more of a hardcore sound with minimal pop-punk influence, but the new album has more a pop aspect. All of the basic RJA principals are there like the catchy choruses, but they are experimenting with a new sound here. There are ballads as well as hardcore songs. "God Speed", a ballad that ends the album, caught me off guard. It has a really soft drum beat with many hooks in the verse as well as the chorus. I didn't like it at first but as I listened to it more I liked it better and better and now I'd say it's one of my favorite songs. The obvious standout of the entire album is definitely "Senoritis." It is a number that starts and ends strong and everything else in between is great. No lull.

The lyrics I thought were almost too simple in most of the songs. In most of the songs there are just little catchy words that were more written to ryhme than to actually mean something. "Don't You Fake It", their previous album, was full of odd phrases and words that followed evenly and made for a great song. "Lonely Road" just has words randomly tossed in but the song structure and vocal melodies are still very great. it's not that the lyrics are bad it's just compared to their previous album it seems not to their standard. The standout lyrically was "Godspeed." It tells of a soldier going off to Vietnam and ultimately killing a person who was much like him and killing him just because of a flag. Overall the lyrics are decent just not to RJA's standard.

I was stoked when I saw the Apparatus in April of 08 on thier acoustic tour when they said that they would be releasing another album at the end of the year. When I got it, I listened to it all the way through twice and I was very impressed. I right away noticed their "new" sound throwing in guitar solos and the slowing down of some songs. I really don't think there is a song of RJA's that I really don't like. They are all very well put together and mastered perfectly. Thier new sound is not "selling out", they are just experimenting with new sounds that's all. But overall I was very blown away by another great release by the apparatus.

FinderofNemo
    Stuck_in_Limbo wrote: you know what f u c k u all i bet u all are metallica fans or guns n roses fans and they did the same thing and now u wanna rag these guys for it screw u all so what they changed their sound some its their third album big freakin deal it didnt kill so o f u ck ing well
    1) Learn to spell, you're making yourself look like an idiot. 2) No, the album just sucks. Get over it.
    RukiaTH
    It seems to me that the band more or less threw away their sound in order to pretty much become Nickelback, and band I hate and a band that keeps screaming in my ears when I hear this. Commercialization of music sucks.
    datroman
    RedGoblin wrote: Look, I'm one of the biggest RJA fans around. What a lot of people don't know is that they have a bunch of songs that didn't even make either of their studio albums, the best of which, in my opinion, is a song called "Home Improvement." And they can, indeed, be hardcore, see "The Grim Goodbye," yet another, but brilliant unreleased song. Why they kept these tracks under wraps, I have no idea. They should've just remastered them and put them on this new album, because this new direction they're going in is simply terrible, unless you're a teenage girl just coming into adolescence. Maybe it's just because I like harder rock, but "Lonely Road" is no good, with the exception of 3 or 4 songs, in my opinion. Still love the band, but I'm ready for album three.
    Um ... they already have 3 .... i thought you were a big fan? I wasn't necessarily dissapointed with this album, but that might be because i don't listen to these guys all that much ... they always came off as pop-punk to me so this album wasn't much of a surprise or let down
    Stone Agean
    The "first" album wasn't on the major label, and most of the songs from it were re-recorded for Don't You Fake It, so I can understand why they didnt count it as an album. It was more a demo than anything... Never realy liked these guys, for this type of music I prefer The Getaway Plan.
    Stuck_in_Limbo
    ismellfunny13
    fanboy
    fueledbyellen
    impression is a FULL 10. RJA is always so kickass in any type of performances and i agree with the 10. however, this album may have slipped a little. it does have a more pop punk sound to it than the original hardcore, but honestly, i still think that ronnie's voice and the guitar solos they have are incredible. i give this CD a 7.3
    ZPunk3795
    I am probably one of the biggest RJA fans you could ever see. This band really disappointed on this one.Their old sound was one they shuld've stuck with,it was awesome.Honestly, this album sucks.
    hayz_182
    i was expecting them to go pop, but i wouldn't say thats what they've done... i'd say they've just lost their edge. Worst part is we all waited for this for so long becoz they re-released their first album. and this was a huge let down. sounds so low quality!!!
    Nafon
    Yes, this album sucked so bad. It's just horrible... after every 2 minutes into the song on the album I switched in hope of finding a good track. There wasn't a good track.
    Saofan12
    totally agree as a long term RJA fan watching them grow i got this album and heard the singles and was like WTF, completly changed sound,its not pop,its not punk,its just mainstream radio shit now and i still liek them just a sophomore slump i hope. -Pen and paper is my favorite track, it holds close to the old album
    hairy-southpaw
    Everyone apparently considers this album a jump for the mainstream, but wasn't their last album pretty ****ing mainstream as well? I couldn't go anywhere in my car without hearing that "face down" song.
    Stretch_Wilson
    this album is gona be shit and i have only listened to the first single you know how i know this it is because they have totally changed there lineup besides the singer and guitarist
    RedGoblin
    datroman wrote: Um ... they already have 3 .... i thought you were a big fan?
    "Don't You Fake It" was their debut, and now, "Lonely" Road" is their sophomore. I'm talking about major release LPs, so unless you're speaking of some sort of EP or collection of unreleased recordings, as I alluded to earlier, where is this third album?
    gemicedearth
    A 1-second long by Napalm Death is still better than a dozen of LPs by this band. Agree, the title is super cliche.
    Oh-dear-lord
    'Don't you fake it' is one of the best albums i've ever listened to!!! Their old sound (Rock/screamo) was amazing and the band pulled it off perfectly but now they've gone and done a Linkin Park style change and got a new sound...the only problem is that these guys did the exact same as 'Linkin Park' and went downhill, big time!
    thethorninureye
    I never would have said they were hardcore in the first place...
    Blondude103
    Kai07 wrote: I must say I only really like the song You Better Pray. Anberlin is MUCH better in my opinion....
    Problem is, Anberlin wasn't comparable to this band before this album. now they are somewhat, cause they are both going mainstream. dont get me wrong, I love Anberlin, cause they always sounded fairly mainstream cept the first album, but this band, doesnt have the demeanor for mainstream. they were hardcore on Dont you fake it. this one they are pop mixed with a few southern metal sounds.
    jaybe2k4
    pop-punk? really? I haven't heard any of their new album besides the single 'You Better Pray', and that has more of a southern-rock / classic feel... and I was never a huge fan of theirs but I don't think they were ever 'hardcore'
    LeadSalad182
    If they had put this album out in 2007, I would have gone out to get it. But since they decided to wait 3 years to release it I no longer have interest in them and the fact that "You Better Pray" sounds like a cheap Theory of a Deadman knockoff really doesnt help their cause
    The_String_Man
    yeah they were more pop-rock with a little bit of post-hardcore i think. or maybe just pop-rock. but i like the intro to 'You better Pray'.
    Zyph73
    dtwarr03
    I have to agree with Zyph73. RJA totally lost their sound and who they were in their new album. This ultimately gave me for a distaste for their new sound. 'Don't You Fake It' was a very solid album and I could listen to the album through and through without skipping a song, which is far from their new stuff. I can't stand it.
    thatsHARDC0RE
    The new album, for sure, strays away from "Don't You Fake It" musically. I was a bit disappointed that it's less hardcore. But it is really easy to listen to - all of the songs have something to like, whether it's just a one-liner or really catchy chorus. I would recommend this CD, if you have the patience to listen to it a couple of times through (so you'll grow to like it).
    ismellfunny13
    I haven't really listened to these guys besides some of their older stuff and when I heard they had a new album I decided to give it a listen and boy do i regret it
    Rocker396
    They remind me of Hinder. Hinders 1st cd kinda sucked but their new one is awesome. But its the exact opppsite for this band. Their first was good and their second sucked.
    emancomics
    it sucked, i waited a long time for this cd and when i finally heard it i was disappointed their sound changed completely they sound like another band
    NemX162
    This is their third album, not second. Their self-titled? Yeah that thing. Anyway, this album is alright, the lack of screaming is a little bit of a let down. Godspeed gives me goosebumps though. Very nice song.
    Srock86
    These guys are the furthest thing from hardcore. Their songs are very catchy though.
    Nano556
    Zyph73 wrote: Gah, this album was terrible. They changed their sound ENTIRELY. Basically everything I liked about them in the past had changed for something else. It sounded like a more popular and mainstream appeal than anything, bleh... There were only two songs I could even listen to, the rest were bad, not a good album to follow up the rest of their work.
    This. Shame really, don't you fake it was great.
    sunshinesammy2@
    this is terrible they shouldent change there sound compleatly, punk is how people liked them if they go pop there losing fans
    IcePh0enix
    This band completely sold out because of two things: 1. They made this awful, mainstream sounding album 2. They allow the radio to cencor the screaming part in Face Down This band was shit from the start, but now I have no respect for them.
    RedGoblin
    Kai07
    ZPunk3795
    I am probably one of the biggest RJA fans you could meet.They changed sound completely, their old sound was one they should've kept. Truthfully this albums sucks.Ihope they get their sound back, and I hope this album does walk a a lonely road as the worst RJA album.