Lonely Road Review

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus: Lonely Road
Released: Feb 3, 2009
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Virgin
Lonely Road is the second album by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, which was released on February 3, 2009. The first single off the album was "You Better Pray".
 6.2
 6.5
 5.9
Lonely Road Reviewed by: Nirvana6722, on february 19, 2009

Sound: In their latest release the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus brings a new kind of sound to the table. Lonely Road, released February 3rd, 2009, strays away from the Rja's original sound going more pop-punk. RJA originally had more of a hardcore sound with minimal pop-punk influence, but the new album has more a pop aspect. All of the basic RJA principals are there like the catchy choruses, but they are experimenting with a new sound here. There are ballads as well as hardcore songs. "God Speed", a ballad that ends the album, caught me off guard. It has a really soft drum beat with many hooks in the verse as well as the chorus. I didn't like it at first but as I listened to it more I liked it better and better and now I'd say it's one of my favorite songs. The obvious standout of the entire album is definitely "Senoritis." It is a number that starts and ends strong and everything else in between is great. No lull. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics I thought were almost too simple in most of the songs. In most of the songs there are just little catchy words that were more written to ryhme than to actually mean something. "Don't You Fake It", their previous album, was full of odd phrases and words that followed evenly and made for a great song. "Lonely Road" just has words randomly tossed in but the song structure and vocal melodies are still very great. it's not that the lyrics are bad it's just compared to their previous album it seems not to their standard. The standout lyrically was "Godspeed." It tells of a soldier going off to Vietnam and ultimately killing a person who was much like him and killing him just because of a flag. Overall the lyrics are decent just not to RJA's standard. // 7

Overall Impression: I was stoked when I saw the Apparatus in April of 08 on thier acoustic tour when they said that they would be releasing another album at the end of the year. When I got it, I listened to it all the way through twice and I was very impressed. I right away noticed their "new" sound throwing in guitar solos and the slowing down of some songs. I really don't think there is a song of RJA's that I really don't like. They are all very well put together and mastered perfectly. Thier new sound is not "selling out", they are just experimenting with new sounds that's all. But overall I was very blown away by another great release by the apparatus. // 10

Lonely Road Reviewed by: Nano556, on february 26, 2009

Sound: The actual mastering of this album is pretty well, it doesn't seem to clip, it's not to loud, very similar to the production on Don't you fake it, however, the band sounds more like a pop group now than a rock band, if you're expecting songs like in fate's hands or face down, you're looking for the wrong band now... unfortunately, none of the screams from the old album apart from 1 I noticed at the start of Pull me back, they seem to have "sold out" and gone into a really radio friendly direction now. // 3

Lyrics: Singing overall is good, solid RJA apart from lacking the screams, however some of the lines get really annoying after a while, in pull me back for example right before and after the solo (which is a decent solo) "Pull me back again I need you to Pull me from my sin Pull me back again I need you to Pull me from my sin" This is also the chorus line but gets repeated as verse to..... so it drives you up the wall a bit after a while. All the other songs have their moments to, but nothing that really stands out. // 7

Overall Impression: Doesn't even come close to Don't you fake it, or their self titled, there's about 2 or 3 songs that are enjoyable compared to don't you fake it, the entire album was pretty solid, this sounds more like a Fall out boy album with western style acoustic thrown in (Believe) to me than the old RJA. If it was lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, massive let down unfortunately, hopefully this is the album that walks the lonely road, and they improve later on... // 3

Comments