Unconsecrated review by The Red Shore

• Released: Nov 8, 2008
The Red Shore: Unconsecrated

The Red Shore's debut release, Unconsecrated, has a first impression of a sweet album due to the cover, but they always say to not base items off their cover, and for this album, it is the truth. The sound of the album is very heavy, almost too heavy. While playing the songs through headphones, the sound gets distorted. The drums become too loud and the guitars become too distorted and sound fuzzy. Every song has a fast guitar riff or fast palm muting with great drumming skills. The guitars on the album are composed very nicely, when you can hear them. Most of the album is heavy palm muting and chord changes, with some sweet riffs and licks thrown in the mix. The third song on the album Deception: Prologue, has a very complex riff but the riff gets lost in the poor mixing of the drums. Do not get me wrong, the drums and guitars and bass are beautifully composed. Slain By The Serpent has a good harmony in the middle, creating a metalcorish feel to the album. This metalchorish feel is again brought back on the song Nephilim, which is a instrumental with a softer feel, which was beautifully input after the first eight songs, which are brutal in your face songs. The drums have fast tempos, and feature beautiful double bass patterns that show the skills of the drummer, Jake Green. The rhythm of each track fits the bands Death Metal style, this is proven beautifully by the song Architects of Repulsion, which has beautifully crafted palm muting along with the drumming of Green. The sound of the album is kind of mushy and fuzzy at times, but the skills of the band and the complexity each song has makes up for it.

The lyrics are beautifully written. The songs mainly speak of death and one's journey through the apocalypse. The singer Jamie Hope does a great job with the vocals. His growls and screams are deep and give a good sense of how the band still grows without old vocalist, Damien Morris. Every song has a mix of dark grunts, growls, shouts, or even high pitched screams that remind one of Dani Filth.

This album reminded me of better Bring Me The Horizon. Every song was crafted with great complexity, and this is shown by the great amount of winding riffs. The drums are also a trademark on this album, with some of the fastest double bass beats out there. The most impressive songs on the album are Architects Of Repulsion, The Garden Of Impurity, and Nephilim. I love the fact that The Red Shore has combined elements of Death Metal, Mathcore, and Doom together into one dark and thrashing album. The only problem is the mixing was not impressive at times. Otherwise, the band's debut album was a success!

schangatang
    there not deathcore, there grindcore actually, there techgrind actually, there death metal, acutally, there australian deathtech grind metalcore sweedish black metal. learn your genres newbs
    new_age_reject
    -tempest-
    this
    razorback_al_31
    The lyrics are old singer Damo's version of Paradise Lost by John Milton. Damo wrote 90% of it before he was killed, he put a "dark & brutal" twist on the storyline within the book. Pretty cool, i reckon he did a good job.
    Loki_37
    nickD2011
    Loki_37 wrote: -tempest- wrote: new_age_reject wrote: People need to learn the difference between Their, There and They're. I was interested up until it was described as similar to better Bring Me The Horizon. I shall now avoid this band like the plague. this Huh...My friend, mentioning these guys with BMTH is just blasphemy. I've only heard their newest, but...That's just awful. These guys have some talent, and are really heavy, BMTH is just crap. I have no idea how anyone could like them.
    There's nothing wrong with being open minded.