Protector review by The Rendering

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jun 6, 2010
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 6.2 (29 votes)
The Rendering: Protector
1

Sound — 9
Having formed in late 2009, The Rendering's time together as a band has been relatively short in general music industry terms. But in that quick year together (give or take a few months), the metal/hardcore quintet has managed to develop an intriguing, texture-rich EP Protector. The bulk of the debut EP is in-your-face, rarely letting up in terms of rhythmic aggression. At the same time the six tracks are layered with unexpected sounds that you might not necessarily anticipate and allow them to stand out from the pack. The two openers Thanks A Mil and Taken are fairly relentless metal offerings, with the screams/growls emitted from Eric Van Acker's as powerful as they come. With The Gift they prove that their intensity can go toe to toe with any veteran black metal band out there. Between the highly effective breakdown and the use of some intriguing guitar effects, The Gift is absolutely one of the most unique tracks on Protector. While The Rendering could have opted not to include an interlude on a limited EP, they made the correct decision to give it the green light. Interlude features breathtaking classical guitar work from Dan Marinaro and Aaron Nichols, only to briefly be layered with computer-like sound effects that you might hear on any given Tool album. The short-and-sweet Interlude transitions into Come Home, which is essentially a double bass pedal paradise of sorts. Come Home features plenty of epic moments, closing with a big finish enhanced by keyboard lines that deliver an orchestral type effect. There's rarely a weak moment on Protector, and you certainly can't accuse The Rendering if failing to leave a lasting first impression. Songs like Trial contain a bevy of tempo changes and general twists and turns, but they still manage to sound cohesive. The Rendering certainly enjoys experimenting with industrial sounds, but at no time does it overtake the raw power of the guitars.

Lyrics — 8
The lyrical content is suitably matched against the furious musicality. There's an underlying anger within pretty much each of the six tracks that contain lyrics, and given Van Acker's wonderfully disturbing vocal delivery, you wouldn't want it any other way. Whether the theme is general disgust towards an individual in Protector (Your selfishness is getting f--king old, my pity for you is running low) or to convey a sense of foreboding in The Gift (I am not what you think I am; The darkness that comes from within; Soon you will see there's no escape), the messages are a good match for the musical intensity.

Overall Impression — 8
The seven tracks on Protector indicate we can expect quality offerings in the future from The Rendering. While they could even go more experimental with the lead guitar effects or the sci-fi synth samples, there is a subdued nature to it all that works on the EP. At the center of it all is the always convincing vocal delivery of Van Acker, whose screams will make you sit up and take notice.

27 comments sorted by best / new / date

    4stringedMetal
    I read, i was interested, i listened, i was disappointing. I'm so tired of metalcore. Especially when they say they are prog, not exactly this band but veil of maya, After the burial and Protest the hero. it's like good, good, then oh **** there some scene hipsters chugging. It's not real prog! its some 15yo. BMTH fans take on dream theater.
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    feedmeforest wrote: \m/(-_\m/ wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: \m/(-_\m/ wrote: Sounds average. Maybe just isn't for me... I'll stick with Veil of Maya and After the Burial. Irony, oh the joy. That said, its more bearable than most of the stuff that gets manufactured these days. Then again, if all those bands were on a margin of 50% out of 100 (for listenability), then this would be 55%. Strange to see a small black metal influence though. Implying there was any irony in my comment. stop comparing this band to bands like this. this is a metal hardcore genre. no one ever said they were prog at all. theyre not... listen to bands like for the fallen dreams, the ghost inside. thats what they seem to be going for. theres not one bit of prog and there wasnt suppose to be
    It's still average no matter which way you put it.
    dveypantele
    For anyone to compare these guys to any prog-rock band is absurd! And thats not a put down to the guys in the Rendering at all, but to me, you comparing TR to a prog-rock band is the equivalant of comparing Brittney Spears to Marilyn Manson. I don't think they even try to come anywhere near to the prog genre. Progressive music is Dream Theater, Queensryche, and some of Rush's later work. How the hell do the Rendering try and bite prog!? But ultimately, what it comes down to is what the guys enjoy. What THEY want to hear come out of their amps. If the kids love it, they love it. If they don't, they don't. But you've got to consider the fact that there are five guys in the band; very common. Each of those five guys probably has their own idols, influences, and styles the enjoy. Throw it all together, and you have the Rendering. The same way bands like Metalica, Lamb of God, and any toher band you can name came along. A bunch of dudes with different tastes, influences, and experience. Personal opinion, if I may? Fuck the genres! Just make music! Good music! Music you want to make! People need to stop worrying about what genre what band is, or where they throw in a breakdown, or what other bands might influence them. Just ****in' rock, man. If you enjoy, come back for more. If you don't, kick rocks and find another band to bag on. P.S. The band made from page of UG ONE WEEK after releasing their FIRST EP....are ANY of you in or have you ever been in a band that did that? Probably not, just sayin'.
    ShredSandwich
    feedmeforest wrote: \m/(-_\m/ wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: \m/(-_\m/ wrote: Sounds average. Maybe just isn't for me... I'll stick with Veil of Maya and After the Burial. Irony, oh the joy. That said, its more bearable than most of the stuff that gets manufactured these days. Then again, if all those bands were on a margin of 50% out of 100 (for listenability), then this would be 55%. Strange to see a small black metal influence though. Implying there was any irony in my comment. stop comparing this band to bands like this. this is a metal hardcore genre. no one ever said they were prog at all. theyre not... listen to bands like for the fallen dreams, the ghost inside. thats what they seem to be going for. theres not one bit of prog and there wasnt suppose to be
    Feedmeforest = band member. Call it a hunch.
    iH8CarAccidents
    xxAnde wrote: I mean the Vocal... the way he screams and growls, there is no connection between the vocals and the musicians, In my opinion this just don't fit together... In my opinion we should stick together with: MACHINE HEAD Lamb Of God (if you're really into this heavy shit as I am) And "iH8CarAccidents" as you wrote: "So they throw in some chug chuggery here and there. I'm not bothered by it, AND THE KIDS LOVE IT." Real Music is when you don't give a **** about what the kids or anyone want's to hear, just play what seems right for you and hear what seems right for you. As Metallica drummer (Lars Ulrich) Said: "There's a very few factors involved. It's not your typical "give to the peaople what they wan't" or "yeah were here to play Rock'N'Roll for you and party all day" or any of that bullshit, This is Fucking our shit, and we wanna do what's right for us, What we feel good about. If you like it, you're invited along, If you don't, there's the door." (i know Metallica isn't heavy metal, but this was an example) That's the spirit! !..!(*_*)!..! - Anders
    I'm not saying they threw in breakdowns just for the sake of being popular. I'm guessing they did it because they like it. I don't know why anyone would write music that they don't like themselves. It just to happens that other people like that sort of thing too.
    feedmeforest
    \m/(-_\m/ wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: \m/(-_\m/ wrote: Sounds average. Maybe just isn't for me... I'll stick with Veil of Maya and After the Burial. Irony, oh the joy. That said, its more bearable than most of the stuff that gets manufactured these days. Then again, if all those bands were on a margin of 50% out of 100 (for listenability), then this would be 55%. Strange to see a small black metal influence though. Implying there was any irony in my comment.
    stop comparing this band to bands like this. this is a metal hardcore genre. no one ever said they were prog at all. theyre not... listen to bands like for the fallen dreams, the ghost inside. thats what they seem to be going for. theres not one bit of prog and there wasnt suppose to be
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    4stringedMetal wrote: I read, i was interested, i listened, i was disappointing. I'm so tired of metalcore. Especially when they say they are prog, not exactly this band but veil of maya, After the burial and Protest the hero. it's like good, good, then oh **** there some scene hipsters chugging. It's not real prog! its some 15yo. BMTH fans take on dream theater.
    Protest don't really do breakdowns...
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    brobocop wrote: xxAnde wrote: ShredSandwich wrote: I gave it a chance. i really did. listened to their songs on myspace. this sounds like kids with too much money and time and not enough talent. This is how metal dies. I have to agree seriously. why do shitty bands like this keep getting signed? Oh the irony of being on a label called "Authentik" considering how they're almost a perfect definition of generic.
    This guy knows what's up. +1
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    EpiExplorer wrote: \m/(-_\m/ wrote: Sounds average. Maybe just isn't for me... I'll stick with Veil of Maya and After the Burial. Irony, oh the joy. That said, its more bearable than most of the stuff that gets manufactured these days. Then again, if all those bands were on a margin of 50% out of 100 (for listenability), then this would be 55%. Strange to see a small black metal influence though.
    Implying there was any irony in my comment.
    xxAnde
    I mean the Vocal... the way he screams and growls, there is no connection between the vocals and the musicians, In my opinion this just don't fit together... In my opinion we should stick together with: MACHINE HEAD Lamb Of God (if you're really into this heavy shit as I am) And "iH8CarAccidents" as you wrote: "So they throw in some chug chuggery here and there. I'm not bothered by it, AND THE KIDS LOVE IT." Real Music is when you don't give a **** about what the kids or anyone want's to hear, just play what seems right for you and hear what seems right for you. As Metallica drummer (Lars Ulrich) Said: "There's a very few factors involved. It's not your typical "give to the peaople what they wan't" or "yeah were here to play Rock'N'Roll for you and party all day" or any of that bullshit, This is Fucking our shit, and we wanna do what's right for us, What we feel good about. If you like it, you're invited along, If you don't, there's the door." (i know Metallica isn't heavy metal, but this was an example) That's the spirit! !..!(*_*)!..! - Anders
    iH8CarAccidents
    4stringedMetal wrote: I read, i was interested, i listened, i was disappointing. I'm so tired of metalcore. Especially when they say they are prog, not exactly this band but veil of maya, After the burial and Protest the hero. it's like good, good, then oh **** there some scene hipsters chugging. It's not real prog! its some 15yo. BMTH fans take on dream theater.
    All those bands are very talented though. Well I admit I haven't listened to a lot of Veil of Maya, but what I've heard is pretty good. I wouldn't call it prog, but I wouldn't hate on it either. So they throw in some chug chuggery here and there. I'm not bothered by it, and the kids love it. Of those three though, I think Protest The Hero is definitely the most unique. I really like their style.
    HoneyofRuin
    I, too, read, became interested, listened, and walked away disappointed. They're nothing special.
    Hells.Mascot
    I find each of the musicians to have ability, talent even, (though the tone of the guitars and drums are somewhat underwhelming) but the songwriting (and I don't mean lyrics you retards) to be just... bland.
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    Sounds average. Maybe just isn't for me... I'll stick with Veil of Maya and After the Burial.
    brobocop
    xxAnde wrote: ShredSandwich wrote: I gave it a chance. i really did. listened to their songs on myspace. this sounds like kids with too much money and time and not enough talent. This is how metal dies. I have to agree
    seriously. why do shitty bands like this keep getting signed? Oh the irony of being on a label called "Authentik" considering how they're almost a perfect definition of generic.
    the_burning_one
    there are thousands and thousands of bands just like this..if the metal industry keeps shitting out bands like this... God help us all.
    metalsickyah
    Agree with shredsandwich as well. Popping your dropped C string over in over in random rhythms and screaming into a microphone does NOT constitute metal. Just another band who wants to be Bring Me The Horizon is what it sounds like, falling way under par at that.
    xxAnde
    ShredSandwich wrote: I gave it a chance. i really did. listened to their songs on myspace. this sounds like kids with too much money and time and not enough talent. This is how metal dies.
    I have to agree
    ShredSandwich
    I gave it a chance. i really did. listened to their songs on myspace. this sounds like kids with too much money and time and not enough talent. This is how metal dies.
    crazysam23_Atax
    1st off: "Metal/Hardcore/Heavy Metal". Good, you didn't label this band Metalcore, like half the reviews of heavy bands on this site. 2nd off: this sounds like an interesting band.
    crazysam23_Atax
    1st off: "Metal/Hardcore/Heavy Metal". Good, you didn't label this band Metalcore, like half the reviews of heavy bands on this site. 2nd off: this sounds like an interesting band.
    El Boyo
    Cos of this i actually youtube'd them and theyre actually alright! ta!
    EpiExplorer
    \m/(-_\m/ wrote: Sounds average. Maybe just isn't for me... I'll stick with Veil of Maya and After the Burial.
    Irony, oh the joy. That said, its more bearable than most of the stuff that gets manufactured these days. Then again, if all those bands were on a margin of 50% out of 100 (for listenability), then this would be 55%. Strange to see a small black metal influence though.
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    dveypantele wrote: For anyone to compare these guys to any prog-rock band is absurd! And thats not a put down to the guys in the Rendering at all, but to me, you comparing TR to a prog-rock band is the equivalant of comparing Brittney Spears to Marilyn Manson. I don't think they even try to come anywhere near to the prog genre. Progressive music is Dream Theater, Queensryche, and some of Rush's later work. How the hell do the Rendering try and bite prog!? But ultimately, what it comes down to is what the guys enjoy. What THEY want to hear come out of their amps. If the kids love it, they love it. If they don't, they don't. But you've got to consider the fact that there are five guys in the band; very common. Each of those five guys probably has their own idols, influences, and styles the enjoy. Throw it all together, and you have the Rendering. The same way bands like Metalica, Lamb of God, and any toher band you can name came along. A bunch of dudes with different tastes, influences, and experience. Personal opinion, if I may? Fuck the genres! Just make music! Good music! Music you want to make! People need to stop worrying about what genre what band is, or where they throw in a breakdown, or what other bands might influence them. Just ****in' rock, man. If you enjoy, come back for more. If you don't, kick rocks and find another band to bag on. P.S. The band made from page of UG ONE WEEK after releasing their FIRST EP....are ANY of you in or have you ever been in a band that did that? Probably not, just sayin'.
    Implying anyone was talking about prog-rock and also implying music journalism determines how good your band is.