No Love Lost review by The Rifles

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
The Rifles: No Love Lost

This is a Fantastic album, before hand I had seen them live which influenced me the next day to go buy it. The Rifles songs are short and catchy and within 3 listens of the album you will want more. Each track on the album has the potential to be a single and even if they are short a good listen. The style of music is a combination of bands such as The Jam and Libertines. Joel Stokes' voice has an amazing resemblance to a young Paul Weller, which adds a bit of retro to the music. Track 6 'Spend A Lifetime' an acoustic number chills down the mood of the music and with the next track 'Robin Hood' builds back up to the original mood backup.

As said before Joel Stokes makes the band sound like The Jam but with The Rifles own style included makes the band part of the new indie. The band's lyrics are witty and unique with such lines as "I'm not being mean, in fact I'm really rather polite/All I'm trying to say is that you wouldn't catch her on Mastermind" Taken from the song One Night Stand'. Joel Stoker makes the lyrics fit in the songs perfectly and after a few plays the listener will want to join in.

The album is similar to Milburn's debut album "Well Well Well" which I also purchased around the same time. The thing that inspires me in this album is the way the lyrics are sung and when the albums on I always will sing along. I love everything about this album and is played way too much and never gets old. I strongly recommend this album to any Libertines, Milburn, The Jam and/or The Buzzcocks fans. I have purchased this album for friends and relatives and if I would lose mine would replace it ASAP!

crazymac
    Agree completely with this review it's a shame that the media and other people don't recognize there talent.
    afc16
    No Love Lost is one of the strongest albums I've ever heard. I don't understand how average bands like The Twang and The Pigeon Detectives get all the hype. It's shocking how little exposure this band get.