A Bigger Bang review by The Rolling Stones

• Released: Sep 6, 2005
The Rolling Stones: A Bigger Bang

I haven't really been into the stones music before except perhaps songs like Ruby Tuesday and Brown Sugar. But first thing I said when I heard the song Rough Justice (ironicly enough the first track) was: "I must own that record" and let me tell you, this was the best impulsbuy I ever made! I can't really judge the sound compared to previous, but it sure sounds like The Rolling Stones. And it sounds like they are in shape! The record has a bit of an anti-Bush feeling on some of the songs. For example the 13th song Sweetneocon, in the first verse it says: "It's liberty for all/ cause democracy's our style/unless you are against us/Then it's prison without trial." Some might say it's very cliche, but when you hear it, it's more of a classic! The guitar is as always most amazing, simple most of the time (read all), for example on Streets Of Love, wich is a song that gives me the chills it's simply epic. Beautiful.

The lyrics are for my opinion brilliant. When you read the lyrics it doesn't seem very convincing but the way mr. Jagger sings them. It doesn't get any better. Again Sweetneocon and Streets Of Love are perfect examples. It's quite a mixed record, with some true rock n' roll classics just the way The Stones can do it. Doesn't really sounds very produced, it's kind of a stripped down, no messin'round rock record. While still it has some certain classics.

Since it's the only Rolling Stones record I've heard, I can't really judge if it compares to other Stones records. But sure as this record is in league with Abbey Road by The Beatles, and Back In Black by AC/DC which are the best older records I can think of. It's a classic! This album is very varied and mixed 60/40 quite to rock n' roll, can't think of any faults or needs. Most impressive songs are Rough Justice, Streets Of Love, Sweetneocon and Laugh, I Nearly Died. If it got stolen I would certainly buy it again! Very good one by The Stones!