Flashpoint review by The Rolling Stones

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
The Rolling Stones: Flashpoint

This live album is a compilation of songs from the '89-'91 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle World tour at locations in the US and Japan. The songs are all classics from the 30 years before. The intertwined guitars of Ron Wood and Keith Richards are awesome. it's their patented ancient art of weaving that makes the unique sound. The drums seem really loud, but what can you expect, it's live. The only thing about this album is how the microphones seemed to be aimed at the crowd. They totally overshadowed the band itself. All of the songs are classics alongside some lesser known songs and studio recorded tracks. A lot of the songs are just good old rock n' roll. Some are blues, one of the tracks featuring Eric Clapton. Others inclide disco, Indian, and country.

The lyrics are great, not much to say since it's mostly best of the Stones. One of the new tracks, Highwire, is about the Gulf War situation that was going on at the time. The lyrical themes of the song range from sex, romance, rock n' roll, Satanism, war, etc. Mick Jagger's vocal's are really, really deep compared to earlier years. I think that is because of all the cigarettes he smoked over the years. His performance was great anyway. A lot of the songs had altered lyrics, such as Brown Sugar, but that is ok. Keith Richards sang Can't Be Seen, and he did a good job.

You can think of this like The Who's Live at Leeds or Led Zeppelin's How the West Was Won. In my opinion, the only time live material is better than studio recordings are when you are hearing the band play in person. But for a live album, this was great. All of the songs were good, they cut short Sympathy for the Devil and Brown Sugar. All of the good songs were there, Start Me Up, Miss You, Ruby Tuesday, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Rock and A Hard Place, Paint It Black, Sympathy, Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash, and Satisfaction. Some of the songs weren't too known, such as Factory Girl and Little Red Rooster. Eric Clapton played well on Little Red Rooster. This is a great live album, and the track listing was even better.

I am the Drake
    This is my favorite live album from the Stones. I think that Mick Jagger sounds great and the guitar work on this is impressive. I love how Keith and Ron play. I'm so glad that Ron is with them because in my opinion Brian Jones wasn't that great. Mick Taylor was too good. So Ron is perfect. He should've been there from the beginning. My favorite song from the album is by far "Factory Girl"!