Forty Licks review by The Rolling Stones

• Released: Oct 1, 2002
The Rolling Stones: Forty Licks

Whenever a classic rock band wants to go on tour nowadays, but don't want to make a new album, they make a 2 CD greatest hits compilation. Think about it, Van Halen, Motley Crue, and Aerosmith did it, to name a few, but that's beyond the point. The Stone's 2 CD comp is Forty Licks, forty of their greatest and most well known songs. All of the songs are remastered, soung great, but many of the songs on the 2nd disc are edited, and are much shorter than their origanal versions. Why couldn't The Stones stray from the pack and maybe make a 3 CD, 45 licks?

Lyrics are fine, same old Rolling Stones. Songs about sex, drugs, partying, etc.

Well, this hits complitation is pretty good, but you have to keep in mind the price - about 25 dollars. But it certainly better then Jump Back, which is missing many songs including Jumpin Jack Flash, Honkey Tonk Women, You Can't Always Get What You Want, and more. My main problem with it is the edited songs on disc 2. When I hear classic songs, I like to hear them how they were meant to be heard. Besides that, it's a fine introduction to the magic that is The Rolling Stones.