Four Flicks [DVD] review by The Rolling Stones

• Released: Nov 11, 2003
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD]

I was very disapointed with the sound of the band. Although the central idea of doing 3 kinds of venue (theatre, arena and stadium) is a great one, I would never see the stones as a stadium band. Mick Jagger shows why he is one of the best frontmen in the world and Charlie Watts is a wonderful drummer, keeping the show on the rails. However, I was not impressed with the playing of Keith Richards or Ronnie Wood. The stones have lacked a lead guitarist for many years and this shows in nearly every song as Richards and Wood slop over the rythm section. You can't fault the riffs the pair have given the world but on this DVD their on-stage playing lacks spark. The DVD boasts 'premiere live versions' of some songs but the musicians are way past their prime, and have unfortunatley turned into a parody of themselves.

Content — 10
Content on the DVD is fabulous. Aside from there being 3 gigs to watch there is also a documentary on how the tour was conveived and executed. It shows just how much Jagger has shaped the image of the band and keeps control of the business side of things. There is an option to 'select a stone' and watch just one band member and on certain tracks there is a commentary from the band. Fantastic content for a serious stones fan.

Production Quality — 8
Overall the gigs are beautifully shot, with the club gig in Paris being my favourite as I think the band suit that kind of environment. There are a couple of sound issues at certain points in the staduim gig but not enough to spoil the music. The camera does cut to members of the audience but as it seems most of the audience are twenty-something blonde and beautiful women it does feel a little staged.

Unfortunatley there is no footage of the stones at their early '70s peak available on DVD so this collection is recomended for serious stones fans. However, the band as a whole is past it's prime and the performances fall flat aside from Jagger himself. The best thing about the DVD are the extras, very good value for money. What annoys me the most is that the 'forty licks' tour was essentially just a greatest hits tour and for a band which had such a creative spark that is a complete travesty.

wmzbomgzors
    Look for Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. They don't play all their hits. But it does offer some rare footage of them playing a 1969 concert.
    udy
    I have already had a ticket of RS in Budapest. It seems as if I can't find some bad words about Rolling Stones. They are the BEST.