Four Flicks [DVD] Review

artist: The Rolling Stones date: 08/09/2006 category: compact discs
The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD]
Release Date: November 11, 2003
This 4 DVD box set showcases the ambitious concept of the "Licks" 2002/2003 world tour. Three dramatically different shows -- on three different stages, with three different productions and three different set lists.
 Content: 9.5
 Production Quality: 8.5
 8.3
 8.7
 7.8
Four Flicks [DVD] Reviewed by: mccabe24, on november 25, 2005

Sound: The biggest rock band of all time hits the stage and Keith Richards launches into the opening riff of 'Brown Sugar' (disc 3). Keith Richard's tone is, and always will be, one of the sweetest sounds man has ever heard! Every sone that The Stones play pumps energy into the crowd! You see clips of the crowd and every one of them is singing along and loving it. // 10

Overall Impression: When you watch this DVD and see ove 60,000 screaming fans, you feel that you are right there. Front row at a stones show (to maximize this effect, make sure the volume is cranked up). If I lost it, I would buy it again (but I suggest making extra copies of each DVD because a 4 DVD box set isn't cheap to replace). Now excuse me. I'm going to go and watch 'Jumpin' Jack Flash'. // 10

Four Flicks [DVD] Reviewed by: move_on_up, on august 09, 2006

Sound: I was very disapointed with the sound of the band. Although the central idea of doing 3 kinds of venue (theatre, arena and stadium) is a great one, I would never see the stones as a stadium band. Mick Jagger shows why he is one of the best frontmen in the world and Charlie Watts is a wonderful drummer, keeping the show on the rails. However, I was not impressed with the playing of Keith Richards or Ronnie Wood. The stones have lacked a lead guitarist for many years and this shows in nearly every song as Richards and Wood slop over the rythm section. You can't fault the riffs the pair have given the world but on this DVD their on-stage playing lacks spark. The DVD boasts 'premiere live versions' of some songs but the musicians are way past their prime, and have unfortunatley turned into a parody of themselves. // 6

Overall Impression: Unfortunatley there is no footage of the stones at their early '70s peak available on DVD so this collection is recomended for serious stones fans. However, the band as a whole is past it's prime and the performances fall flat aside from Jagger himself. The best thing about the DVD are the extras, very good value for money. What annoys me the most is that the 'forty licks' tour was essentially just a greatest hits tour and for a band which had such a creative spark that is a complete travesty. // 7

Comments