Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (40th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set) review by The Rolling Stones

• Released: Nov 3, 2009
The Rolling Stones: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (40th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set)

Though The Rolling Stones have admittedly been coasting on autopilot for the last decade or so, they were an unstoppable beast in the late 60s and early 70s. Recorded on 2 separate nights at New York City's famed Madison Square Garden, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!' found the Stones playing material that centered heavily around their Beggars Banquet' album and finds the guys firing on all cylinders. The British rockers have always been infatuated with Chicago blues and country-western music and that comes shining through on the performances found here. Although Mick Taylor had just joined the band replacing a drug addled Brian Jones, he makes a better guitar sparring partner to Keith Richards than Ron Wood ever has. Their work on songs like Street Fighting Man and the sleazy Stray Cat Blues swings with the kind of swagger that acts like the Black Crowes and Aerosmith have based their careers around.

If you look up rock frontman in a music encyclopedia, a photo of Mick Jagger would probably be there. The dude just exudes charisma and this CD and DVD set showcases him at arguably his peak. The way he plows through Jumpin' Jack Flash sets the tone for the rest of the stuff here. He delivers every line with a brilliant balance of attitude, carelessness, and power. His blues licks are in full display on Live with Me with its raunchy lyrics and quintessential American sounding arrangement. The DVD footage included in this deluxe set is stellar and you'll see Jagger working the massive MSG stage like he's back in the underground clubs of London.

Even if you are a relative newcomer to The Rolling Stones catalog, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!' would be a fine introduction to the legendary band. Not only do you get the original 10 songs from the initial release, disc 2 contains 5 unreleased from the original Madison Square Garden concert. The third CD contains 12 never before released tracks by opening acts B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner plus the DVD features performances by The Rolling Stones from the 2 nights, backstage footage, scenes of Keith Richards in the studio and footage of the Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!' album cover shoot. Mick Taylor is the part of the Stones story that often gets overlooked but as this material proves, he should get much more credit than he's been allotted. Even though he was new to the group's ranks, he still slips into any style their set list calls for with expert ease. Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!' is a testament to how deadly the band was during this time in their career. This release is the kind of stocking stuffer that any rock n' roll freak would love seeing this holiday season.

MXFNCK
    I have the 'old' issue on vinyl, and I think I might pick up the 'superdeluxe set' which also has 3 lp's. I am biased, since I wake up with the Stones and go to sleep with them as well (big fan). But that put aside and looking at this album objectively, I think it's the best live album ever put out by any band. They were really at the height of their game, and the Mick Taylor line up was the best they ever had. Check out the extended jam on Midnight Rambler and you'll agree with me.
    xMrPwN
    just look at their ratings, fame, discography, success, recognition and you'll soon aggree that they were the biggest band ever to exist... I believe there won't be anyone else as great as them never again...
    maximumrocker
    There still around!? ahhaha im kiddin maybe ill buy this for my dad for an x-mas gift look great !
    CranberryJuice
    Tattoo5150
    good live album from the world's greatest rock n roll band, at their artistic peak with their best lead guitarist to date.
    MXFNCK
    CranberryJuice wrote: Great to know they aren't attempting to make new material at their age. Honestly though, this is a must for stones fans. Its awesome.
    they released an album 4 years ago. It was better than what a lot of younger bands put out these days. And Ronnie Wood recently said they might start making a new one in 2010. But I admit, the 70's were their prime time.