It's Only Rock 'N Roll review by The Rolling Stones

• Released: Oct 18, 1974
The Rolling Stones: It's Only Rock 'N Roll

The Rolling Stones are the ultimate rock n' roll band. They stand for all that is rock and all that is roll. After the death of Brian Jones they really needed to find a sound that fit the new movement of rock in the '70s and they struck the perfect chord on 1974s It's Only Rock N' Roll. I think the album was extremely well mixed and showcases all their talents greatly. The Stones also brought in lots of outside musicians on this album too, most notably Billy Preston's boogie woogie piano on thier cover of "Ain't To Proud To Beg." Overall great sound and tone on this record. The loud is brash, and the soft is sweet.

Mick Jagger is a lyrical wizard. His lyrics just mesh with the rest of the band. Keith also really works hard on writing chords that set the tone of Mick's lyrics. The lyrics in the title track are some of my favourites Mick's done in his career. Let's all face it, Mick Jagger knows how to write and sing good ol' dirty rock n' roll.

This album is really overlooked compared to the others in the Stones lengthly catalog, definately in their top ten studio releases. The most impressive works on this record are the title track, If You Can't Rock Me, Dance Litte Sister and Short And Curlies. If anyone stole this from me I'd easily take it back, but I don't blame 'em it's such a masterpiece. I love the cover art and the booklet it's enclosed with, but I really think they should have done less piano and more guitar and bass on the album.