Their Satanic Majesties Request review by The Rolling Stones

• Released: Jan 1, 1967
The Rolling Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request

The Stone are on of the most influential band of history, Satanic Majesties is thier more, for lack of a better word, pscychedelic album as apposed to their more blues influenced works. It's a great album, but it's not to be confused with The Brian Jonestown Massacre's album, Their Satanic Majesties Second Request, though the name was taken from The Stones album. Brian Jones multi instrumentalism really shows in this album, and his indian, peruvian musical influence are also quite apparent in this album.

The Stones lyrics were never really that great, they definetly were nothing compared to Dylan, or Lennon/McCartney when it comes to songwriting. But in a few of the songs on this record there is quite decent lyricism. Songs such as "In Another Land", and "2000 light Years From Home", there's a strong psychedelic feel to the words, in fact they remind quite a lot of Syd Barrett. "Sing this all together" is the perfect opening to this album, there's another song on this album with the same name, but it sounds more like and in studio jam session, which is a good thing. Mick Jagger isn't the greatest singer but his voice fits perfectly in songs like "citadel", "She's a Rainbow", and "The Lantern".

This album is to The Stones, as Seargent Peppers was to The Beatles, or Piper at The Gates of Dawn was to Pink Floyd. But purely in the sense of sound and atmosphere. Songs like "2000 Light years From Home" are just mind blowing. Then there's catchy tunes like "Citadel", and "The Lantern" that you may find hard not to hum along too as you go about your day. I love this album, but I Must say I prefer The Stones more blues influenced works. If it were stolen I might buy it again, or I might just download all the songs, It just depends on my financial situation at the time.

I am the Drake
    This album isn't that bad. I really like "Citadel". That's a really good song. I also think that Bill Wyman did a good job on "In Another Land".
    FreeManson15
    Yeah, I acutally don't like it as much as I used to, I was going through a "psychedelic" phase when I wrote this.
    tcangusyoung123
    John Paul Jones did well on "She's a Rainbow". It's not a crap record by any standards, but not completely awesome. I like it purely 'coz it's the Rolling Stones.