Images of Animals Crying in Public review by The Scenes

• Released: Apr 19, 2013
The Scenes: Images of Animals Crying in Public

When I first heard The Scenes and this album, I wasn't amused. It sounded really boring avant-garde screaming. Few months later I thought that I could give a second chance to this album. After few listens I fell in love with all songs and whole album. The Scenes is usually described as "amphetamine-indie" which describes the sound really well. Distorted guitar hooks, hard drumming and screaming vocals sound really good to my ear. Although I loved the sound it was little bit too psychedelic to me. The Scenes definitely isn't a commercial band making radio hits. Their music is pure art.

It's really hard to hear the lyrics trough singer Konsta Koivisto's screaming and fuzzy vocals. But what I have heard about the lyrics, I don't like them as much as I loved the sound and songs in general. The lyrics are psychedelic and it can be seen in songs names ("Frozen Pets Evacuate," "This Is the Kind of Music I'd Like to Hear When I'm at Home Studying Germany," "In Fear of Minotaur"). To me lyrics are usually really big thing. I can listen to a bad artist if lyrics are really good. But this band and this album sound so good that the lyrics don't really matter that much.

The Scenes' debut is brilliant album. It is hard to describe because the songs change from like fuzzy and aggressive "To Fix Revolving Antlers" to more cleaner and softer art ballad "December Heat" which has potential to be a hit. But maybe the variability was the thing in the album which made me stay and listen to every song over and over again. It would be boring if all songs sounded just the same. I recommend this album to every art-rock fan because you can really hear their influences in the album (Sonic Youth, The Velvet Underground, Joy Division and so on).

YouTube preview picture