Science & Faith Review

The Script: Science & Faith
Released: Sep 10, 2010
Genre: Alternative rock, pop rock
Label: RCA, Sony Music
The Script's newest album release 'Science & Faith' had the same distinctive sound as did their previous album 'The Script'.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 8.1
 8.6
 7.5
Science & Faith Reviewed by: Fieryhead, on october 13, 2010

Sound: The Script's newest album release "Science & Faith" had the same distinctive sound as did their previous album "The Script". Like a vast majority of albums, several tracks aren't as catchy as the rest, but nonetheless, they are still high-quality songs. A select few tracks stood out to me such as their latest single "For the First Time", as well as: "Nothing", "Science & Faith", "If You Ever Come Back" and "Walk Away". These have a diverse yet related sound to each other and are very pleasant to the ears. Generally, the sound is similar to their first album, but with a twist that it sounds just as unique as it did back in 2008. // 8

Lyrics: Like in The Script, Irish singer Danny O'Donoghue let out his astounding vocals on each song and didn't let the band's fans down one bit. The lyrics are brilliant and make you want to sing your heart out with each word that O'Donoghue lets out. Only the script themselves could come up with such clever rhymes, ideas and metaphors. Taken as a whole, I wouldn't make any changes to the lyrics as they are outstanding and match their style perfectly without a single flaw. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe that the script has a lot more to offer, and they will never compare to other artists in a good way. Their sound is imaginative and unique, and can never get old. I find myself still listening to their first album at times even though I've heard it a thousand times. The catchiest songs I have already mentioned but there are a few more that are incredible. The only song I don't like as much as the rest is the first You Won't Feel a Thing, for some reason it just doesn't sound too great to me, whereas the rest of the tracks do. Overall, I recommend you listen to this album if you liked their previous albums, any of their songs or maybe looking for a change in music. // 9

Science & Faith Reviewed by: a7xb4d, on march 17, 2011

Sound: To start off, The Script display a slightly different sound in Science and Faith than they did on their self-titled. While still retaining the combination of pop/rock and R&B, the Irish trio seem to rely less on their pop influences on this album. The sound comes out comparable to that of U2, but with a much more emotional feel. Effects are a huge part in the guitar playing, which itself is not too impressive, though remaining somewhat innovative, a perfect example being the track "Nothing" where guitarist Mark Sheehan incorporates natural harmonics into the playing. All in all, the sound is itself unique, but not exactly a musical breakthrough. Still, this band remains one of my favorites. // 7

Lyrics: When I first listened to this band (before they had any popularity) I hated the music. However, the lyrical work done on The Script's songs is masterful and drew me in, so I could eventually appreciate the music, too. Singer Danny O'Donoghue has amazing lyric-writing abilities as well as talent at singing. He manages to hit notes that are pretty high, but doesn't get annoying with it, as other artists in this genre tend to do. He mixes the normal pitch with the high pitch to give some dramatic effects, one of the best being in the chorus of the song "Dead Man Walking". As I said the lyrics are the best thing about this band. An example of this is from my favorite song off the album "Nothing": "And I know that I'm drunk but I'll say the words And she'll listen this time even though their slurred Dialed her number and confess to her I'm still in love but all I heard was nothing." The words fit well with the rather emotional tone of the music. This is The Script's strongest point. // 10

Overall Impression: Science and Faith display's The Script at their best and is much better than their previous album. The most impressive song on this album has to be "Nothing", but there are plenty of other excellent tracks, like "Exit Wound", which serves as a great album finisher with its dramatic change-ups. Many of the tracks are very catchy, especially "Long Gone and Moved On". "Walk Away" has a powerful chorus and one part where the R&B influences shine through, having Donoghue almost approach a mini-rap. The things I like most about the album are the lyrics and the emotion put into the music, something which may often lack in today's "ear-candy". However, being a natural lover of the various -cores (surprising, isn't it) the pop elements tend to make me wince just a little. This doesn't really have too much effect on my opinion of the music as a whole, though. Also, a few songs sound very similar to one another. Like I said, The Script are very comparable with U2, and it isn't surprising that they've seen a spike in their popularity recently. In the end, I would say that this is a good record, but certainly not the best I've ever heard. But, kudos to The Script for it. // 7

Science & Faith Reviewed by: MusicInTheStars, on february 29, 2012

Sound: The Script has a unique sound that defines the band. It is a strong pop sound with a hint of rock. The sound from their freshman to their sophomore album hasn't changed much at all. What I have always liked about this band is the way they put the lyrics to the music. The music has always stood out above the lyrics. The only problem is most of the album sounds exactly the same, there are a few interesting intros but other than that not a huge variety in sound on this album, but of course their sound is their own and it is a good one. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics I found on this album were very original and unique. The Script never fails to provide a new lyrical contribution to the musical community. The lyrics vary from emergency room necessary break ups to questioning love songs. The Script has an amazing ability to put lyrics to music, they always go perfectly together and throughout the songs the lyrics vary, each song is different and unique and tells a different story. You can tell that the band put their hearts, souls, and personal stories into this album. // 9

Overall Impression: So overall, this a fantastic album. It's different and unique and purely The Script. What I love most about this album is the incredibly raw emotion put into the songs, the lead singer, Danny O'Donoghue gives it his all with amazing vocals that are entrancing. The songs I find most impressive are: "For The First Time", "Nothing", "Science And Faith", "Dead Man Walking", "Exit Wounds", and "Walk Away". If I lost this album I would most certainly buy it again. I strongly recommend this album! // 9

Comments