Peculiar Review

The Slackers: Peculiar
Release Date: Feb 21, 2006
Label: Hellcat
Genres: Third Wave Ska Revival, Indie Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock
Peculiar is a stellar set, the sound magnificent, the lyrics thought-provoking, the music sensational.
 8.7
 7.7
 9.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Peculiar Reviewed by: Iluvpowerchords, on april 27, 2006

Sound: The latest album from The Slackers offers a new take on a few old tracks and some brand new songs to go along with them. The rhythm tracks were recorded live while the other stuff, like horns, and vocals were overdubbed later in the studio. This creates a semi-live kind of feeling that is certainly unique. A few tracks on this album realy stand out to me. For instance the title track "Peculair" is one the better songs they've written. It contains a great chorus with great percussion (I love the Cymbals). Peculiar's version of "International War Criminal" is another excellent song, and "Propaganda" has a nice dub sort of feel to it. There is also a great cover of Bob Dylan's "I shall be Released" to close the CD. There are a few weak points in the album that keep it from true greatness like "In walked Capo" which I didn't care for too much. Despite these weaknesses, this is a solid CD. // 8

Lyrics: Good lyrics, ranging from the political to the fun and the politically fun. Vic's voice is very clear on this album and his voice is as pleasing as ever. You can tell that there was a good amount of effort put into the album's production as everything sounds nice and fairly high end. I've always liked Vic's voice and this album is no exception. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I was quite pleased with this album. A few weak tracks don't hurt it too bad, and the good ones really make it kick. I think it holds up well when compared to some of the previous albums that the Slackers have put out, but It might not be their best. If you're looking for a good introduction to the Slackers, try the album Redlight or perhaps Wasted Days. If this album were lost or stolen, I would probably consider re-purchasing it, if I could find a fair price. // 7

Comments