Adore review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Jun 2, 1998
The Smashing Pumpkins: Adore

"Adore" is a real turn-around from the Pumpkins previous electric guitar and distortion-heavy work. Recorded with drum machines and studio drummers, marking the departure of Jimmy from the band, "Adore" also marks a significant change in the Pumpkins sound and the direction of the album. The songs are generally longer and have a somewhat spooky yet calming edge. Blazing electric guitar is present sometimes during the album; it comes in about halfway through "For Martha."

Excellent lyrics as usually can be expected from Billy. "For Martha" is dedicated to his mother, following her death, so you just know it will be very deep and personal, as are the majority of his lyrics. His voice is just as Billy as ever; in my opinion he has the ability to make it soft, soothing, calm and vulnerable, then suddenly break out into a heart-wrenching scream. His voice blends well with the music: in "Shame" it almost sounds as if his voice is an instrument because it works so well.

My personal favourites from Adore are "Ava Adore," "Pug" and "Annie-Dog." Although it took me a while to really get into the album, I would definitely buy it again if anything at all were to happen to it. However, it shouldn't be compared to other Pumpkins albums, as it is different and in a league of its own. What thing that does bug me though, is the length of the songs, as they do tend to drag on after a while. Despite these minor glitches, "Adore" is a supremely superb album.

Rimfrost
    i think its a really good album. But i also thinks its too much, theres simply too many songs on the album (if that makes any sense), when the album reaches the end i feel more overfeed than i feel hungry for more. Preferebly i would remove 5-6 songs, and then it would be a perfect album in my eyes