Earphoria review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Nov 26, 2002
The Smashing Pumpkins: Earphoria

The Pumpkins are awesome. Their ability to formulate amazing music from layering guitars and bass, and incorporating fantastic drum beats just blew me away when I first really got into their music. Earphoria is a collection of songs they performed live during their Siamese Dream tour, so it has songs from both Siamese Dream and Gish, and a few that don't appear on either, ie. 'Bugg Superstar.' Firstly, let me say that for a live album, Earphoria is of tremendous quality. The instruments are easily audible, and the songs are just as kicking as the studio versions.

What can I say that hasn't already been said about Billy's ability to write lyrics? Put plainly, the man is a genius. I love his singing voice as well. He could probably take any everyday word and turn it into something completely beautiful just by the way he sings.

My fave songs off Earphoria are 'Disarm, ' which is performed awesomely with electric guitars instead of acoustic, 'I am One, ' with the heaps long bass solo, and Billy whispering 'What you want is what you get and that's nothing,' James' ode to his dog Bugg, 'Bugg Superstar,' and the acoustic version of 'Cherub Rock,' which is truely brilliant. If this album was stolen or lost I would not hesitate to buy it again at all. This might sound cliche, but I can't find a fault with the Pumpkins, and this is a totally rocking album.