Greatest Hits Video Collection [DVD] review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Nov 20, 2001
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
The Smashing Pumpkins: Greatest Hits Video Collection [DVD]

The Pumpkins' sound is amazing. The DVD starts off with the grunge and psychadelic sound of Gish, then moves along to the layered guitar of Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, followed by the much more mellow, sort of gothic Adore, which is followed by the again heavy guitar of Machina. The DVD follows the evolution of the Pumpkins sound, from the grunge, punk and phsychadelic to the gothic and soft.

Content — 10
The DVD is a best of and contains video clips from the Pumpkins 5 main albums: 01. Siva 02. Rhinoceros 03. Cherub Rock 04. Today 05. Disarm 06. Rocket 07. Bullet With Butterfly Wings 08. 1979 09. Zero 10. Tonight Tonight 11. Thirty-Three 12. Ava Adore 13. Perfect 14. The Everlasting Gaze 15. Stand Inside Your Love 16. Try Try Try Live: 17. Geek USA 18. An Ode To No One Extras: I Am One Untitled Try (a short film) Also included are commentaries on the clips and outakes.

Production Quality — 10
Each clip is well directed and filmed. The use of colour is quirky and innovative. Each clip has its own mark and effect. I love the story of the icecream man losing his mind in the 'Today' clip.

My favourite clips off this DVD are Today, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Zero, Thirty-Three and Stand Inside Your Love. What this dvd lacks however, is any behind the scenes footage, which I would have loved, because the commentaries, though insightful, don't quite cut it for me. If it were stolen or lost I would definately buy it again. It's absolutely worth buying, and it's a must-have for every Pumpkin fanatic.

Doomsayer16
    its funny, I'm mainly into metal like meshuggah, the accacia strain etc., but I love the pumpkins. : ) Great dvd.
    timster36
    this is a great dvd, and like the review, i think there should have been some behind the scenes work. and probably more live footage. but the music videos are great, i love johnathan dayton's and valarie faris' work with the pumpkins, nirvana, and red hot chili peppers. they did the best videos two videos(1979/tonight, tonight). thirty-three is also great.