Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Oct 24, 1995
The Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Everything. Sad, happy, angry, heavy, light, love, destructive, constructive, this album delves into the depths of love and then flys back into heavy rock, only to sink into pyscedelia. This album is is a 2 and a half hour sledge hammer sympthony.

Corgan proves himself a true poet with this album. His lyrics fit perfectly with the album. Nothing is trow away, everything has a deep meaning (if you want it to) The lyrics suit the music very well. Corgan's singing isn't exactly great, but his voice definetly has character, and he does suit his own music.

It's not often that I get really excited by an album. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is a diferent story. This album is in so many aspects perfect. It starts off with the instrumental, mellon collie. a freind of mine once described this as "the greatest piece of music ever written. It can make me sad, happy, angry, confused, relieved and calm all at once. A masterpiece" I have to agree with her. I don't think there has ever been as good an opening track as this. And then the real stuff hits you! The album is a double disc, which was a huge risk for the pumpkins to take in making it. you can litterally count the number of good rock double LPs on one hand. "the white album" "physical graffiti" "the wall" what else? (please don't be offended if i forgot a really REALLY good one) This one. Mellon collie (MC) is one of these greats. This is proven to us by the albums first lyrical song, "tonight tonight" this song is brilliant is so mnay aspects. It has an excellent guitar riff and lead bit, and has been orchestrated so effectively. This song is good enough to pursuede any non-believers. From here it moves through solid rock (bullet with butterfly wings, muzzle, zero,) to soft lamesnts such as "lily, my one and only", "By Starlight" "Farewell and Goodnight" "In the Arms of Sleep" and "Galapogos." The album hits its heaviest note with the mind blowing X.Y.U and it's trippiest moment with "Thru the eyes of Ruby." songs such as "1979" and "muzzle" also give it a catchy, poppy ring. This album is in my mind one of the greatest rock albums ever. Billy Corgan proved himself a truly great songwriter with this album, and the band proved to us all that the smashing pumpkins are the best rock band of the 1990's.