Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Oct 24, 1995
The Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

First things first: Corgan is a genius. He can write any kind of songs, and this album best highlights that. It starts with the orchestrated title track, before leading into the beautiful "Tonight, Tonight". Then, as the last notes from the strings die away, the dirty, distorted guitar intro of Jellybelly kicks in. The album continues with the hard-rock tone with Zero, Here is No Why, and Bullet with butterfly wings, before becoming quiet again for the haunting "Love." The first disc highlight comes in the form of the last heavy song on the disc "Muzzle" with a haunting refrain of Corgan singing "I knew, the silence of the world." The sounds on the album are absolutely incredible.

Corgan is, in my opinion, along with Kurt Cobain, the best songwriter of the '90s. He captures the confusion of youth so beatifully in Muzzle ("And I knew, the echo that is love"), yet contrasts that with bitter sarcasm in "Bullet with butterfly wings" ("Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage"). Corgan is an amazing songwriter who's lyrical skills will amaze you.

All I can say about this album is that it is the essential album of the '90s. You must have it. An epic- 2-disc masterpiece, the album fails to disappoint at all.