Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Oct 24, 1995
The Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

The Smashing Pumpkins may not be for everyone, but on this CD I think everyone can find atleast one song they enjoy or like. You might ask why this is, it's because of how much time and effort the band put into this CD and the 28 songs on it, it's because they love music and wanted to do something not only original, but great. They are an alternative band and really play all kinds of music, they have guitars, drums, bass, pianos and other cool effects that not only add to the audio, but they add to the very feel and nature of each song. You won't find one song on here that sounds like another on this album and that's because each one is special and was given a lot of time to make the song as good as it could be. It's not easy to describe The Smashing Pumpkins, but if you had to use words I'd say that the best two would be, 'unique' and 'original' because they are so different from everyone and that's a very good thing. One of the reasons that the music is so good and unique is thanks to Billy Corgan. Not to say that all the other members aren't great, but Billy is really the one behind a lot of their ideas and really brings the band to a higher level than they would be. Being able to let out his emotions, Billy really adds to the quality of each song on not only this album, but every one of their albums.

The lyrics off of Mellon Collie are some of the deepest and most thought provoking words that you could ever hear. There are so many elements and issues that are dealt with and it's interesting to hear how they end up and each one is really just a small story of a huge picture in the end. Not everyone likes Billy Corgan's voice, but I personally do and it fits so well with The Smashing Pumpkins that no one could ever replace him. His talents at not only writing these beautiful lyrics, but at singing them with so much emotion and feeling are incredible. I know this has been said before, but without him The Smashing Pumpkins wouldn't be the same and nowhere near as good as they are with him. He can go from singing in a normal toned voice, to screaming at the top of his lungs, all the way down to almost a whisper and that just covers one song. It's truly amazing at how his voice sounds good and perfectly fit no matter what the song calls for and thanks to the deep lyrics, his voice is all the more interesting to listen to and no one could pull it off like he does. A very skilled singer isn't always easy to find, so I know that having Billy makes the Pumpkins very happy.

If I were to compare this with any of their other albums, it really wouldn't be fair, because each album is different and it's own strengths and weaknesses. The sound of course is consistent and if you liked their earlier work or even some of their later work then you'll probably like this one quite a bit. Out of the 28 songs that span the two discs it's hard to pick only a few that I enjoy, because except for maybe two at the most I love every single song on here. Each is perfect for a different mood and a lot of them can even change the mood that you're in, just by listening to them. Like I've said before, this is a great CD and a lot of that comes from the care for each song and the emotions that were put in each and every song. I love that it's so original and that nothing sounds like it, I love the interesting guitar work and the verying styles and levels that are used. A few songs, a very few songs and a few other things keep this from being a perfect CD, but in my opinion I don't think there is one. For the most part I like heavier bands and albums, but Mellon Collie is something special and that will probably atleast get you interested in hearing the rest of the CD, no matter what type of music you generally listen to. You might not like the whole album, or you might not even like more than one song, but this CD could really make anyone listen to it atleast once. This is one of my favorite CDs and it's because of how well it was done, this is a true masterpiece and I don't say this about many albums, but I would buy this again if anything ever happened to it. Even if you don't like this type of music, you can atleast give it a chance, because you just never know.

sbauer187
    'Bodies' sends chills down my spine because its such a powerful song. I would have to say that the good songs on this album are better than anything else theyve put out even though I like all their stuff.
    PinkFloydrulez
    This is the most perfect album I have ever come upon... it is beautiful, brilliant, bold.. far beyond phenomenal... I love it