Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Oct 24, 1995
The Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

The band has many different sounds on this album and all of them are good. There a re few new styles not featured on previous albums and I'm glad they're there. I really like the opening track, a piano ballad. Very different to most of their other stuff. The last tracks Farewell and Goodnight features all the members singing as is one of my favourites (I have 28 from this album). It is mainly rock with songs like zero, here is no why, jelly belly, bodies etc. but some sound a bit 'odd' like "Where Boys Fear To Tread". There are some other songs which I was unsure of styles from the accordion tunes of "We Only Come Out At Night" to the beautiful "Thirty Three". The song 'X.Y.U.' is probably the craziest song on the album featuring mumbling screams of random sounds by billy. The song 'Lily' sounded quite country and western-ish to me. Overall lots of sounds that are an innovation.

The lyrics are great on this album. In zero there is a great bit of circularity about emptiness. The lyrics match the music well and on songs such as 'Stumbeline' they are perfect and create a brilliant picture. They are great to listen to, and combined with billy corgan's unique singing style, they sound amazing.

Compared to the earlier albums it has some similar tracks but a lot of new styles including a fair use of synths on some tracks. Songs like 1979 and beautiful would feel right at home on adore. All pumpkin albums are brilliant and it is just as good as any other album. The most impressive songs on the album are 'To Forgive' and 'Thru The Eyes Of Ruby'. 'To Forgive' is simply brilliant and features fantastic harmonies between voice and guitar. 'Thru The Eys Of Ruby' feautes such an amazing piano introduction and swirling guitar intro that when the main chord sequence comes in it just blows you away. I love everything about it from the organic-ness of some songs to the variety of styles. I don't hate anything about it. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again and keep it safe.