Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Oct 24, 1995
The Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Trying to classify a specific sound for this album would be pointless, because literally almost every kind of music is used at some point. From the classical instrumental title track, the new wave of "1979" the screaming metal in "Tales of a scorched earth" to the slow and melancholy "Take Me Down" and "We Only Come Out At Night." Almost seems to mix techno with celtic style guitars. Soundwise this is about as diverse as music gets.

Lyrically, Billy Corgan is one of the geniuses, and the album contains some of his best lyrics ever. But on the same page, it also has some of his worst lyrics ever. But the lyrics are for the most part good on here, as is shown on songs like "Tonight, Tonight" "Muzzle" and the underrated "Lily, My One and Only." And people argue that the lyrics are slightly narcissistic, and maybe that's the case, but that doesn't mean they're bad. Billy Corgan's voice basically sounds like an angry robot. I don't know how to describe it any other way. He's one of the distinct voices you have to hear to get.

While on the whole I don't think it's as good as Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie is two Cd's of mostly good songs, with a few songs that are absolutely great. I think of it like Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" in the sense of having some of the band's best songs and some of their worst, but even while some of the songs on here just aren't all that great, they're still at least good to hear every once in a while, and with those few exceptions aside this album is stocked with great songs.

pwninator123
    Galopogos is pure genius, my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song, and probably my favorite 90s song
    ternalator
    I am an avid pumpions fan. I own all albums (besides zietgiest) and listen constantly. But...Iduno compared to siamese dreams this album feels kinda...souless. Kinda too polished. But that's just me