Pisces Iscariot review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Oct 4, 1994
The Smashing Pumpkins: Pisces Iscariot

Welcome to the wierd and wacky world of The Smashing Pumpkins! This is the 3rd CD The Pumpkins' released and it consists of B-Sides that didn't quite make it onto the first two albums Gish And Siamese Dream. The concept behind the Pumpkins is the idea of mushing together loud and quite music all in the one song. This album is no exception! It opens with the beautiful soft Pumpkins' sound with 'Soothe' and kicks into some scratchy Pumpkins' distortion with 'Frail And Bedazzled'. One of the highlights of the album is mainman Billy Corgan's cover of the Fleetwood Mac song 'Landslide'. Corgan's distinct vocals add a hauntingly beautiful element to a classic song.

Billy Corgan is a modern lyrical master! In my opinion he lived in the shadow of Kurt Cobain during the 90's rock movement but this was in no way because of his 2nd rate skills! Just because this is an album of B-Sides does not make the songs any lesser in quality! From beggening to end, Corgan's scratchey vocals and distinct lyrics shine through and complete the album, making it as perfect as it can be.

As a hardcore Pumpkin's fan I've noticed their music change and evolve from their early LSD driven days with their debut Gish to their climax as artists with Melon Collie and the Inifinite Sadness (MCIS). Apart from the live album 'Earphoria' this is the album that came before MCIS and completes the path. If it was stolen I'd buy it again for sure! Being a B-Side album, this one is more for the hardcore fans like myself. If you wanted to get into the Pumpkins go out and get MCIS or Siamese Dream and if you love them like I did, go out and buy Pisces Iscariot!

Systemofacdc09
    Starla in my opinion is a master piece. I absolutely love it. Frail and Bedazzled is my second favorite.