Siamese Dream review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Jul 26, 1993
The Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream

The Smashing Pumpkins are incredible. Siamese Dream is an incredible sounding album, and one that I could not stop listening to. From the moment I heard Cherub Rock, which is the first track on this album, I became a fan.

The lyrics off the songs are extremely deep, such as, Today and Quiet. I liked the way the lyrics of Today and Rocket contrasted with the music; until I completely listened to the lyrics, I regarded them as happy songs, because of the ice-cream truck sound of Today, and the rocket-like sound of Rocket. This gives off the impression that people can put on a front and be fake, but deep down they're unhappy. Billy Corgan is a talented singer and guitarist. His voice can be harsh and loud, then suddenly become quiet and soft, in the same song alone, and Cherub Rock is an example of this.

I also own a copy of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, which is just as superb. My favourite songs off Siamese Dream are Cherub Rock, Quiet, Today, Disarm and Geek USA. I love the title, and the fact that it seems to have been taken from the lyrics of Geek USA. My pet peeves of Siamese Dream are the softer songs; I prefer the blaring, in-your-face songs, and also the fact that there are no explanations behind the lyrics. The lyrics of each song have a meaning, and I'd love to know what they are. If it was stolen or lost, I would definately buy it again. This album is one of the best I've listened to.