Teargarden By Kaleidoscope review by The Smashing Pumpkins

The Smashing Pumpkins: Teargarden By Kaleidoscope

"Teargarden bY Kaleidoscope" is The Smashing Pumpkin's new album, which will have a finished product of 44 tracks, all released free on their website. They are also releasing the songs in groups of 4 as EP's. This review is of their first EP, "Songs For A Sailor." It can be easily said that these few songs are a return to the band's early endeavors such as the album "Gish", but as I listened carefully you can tell that Billy Corgan was trying this 1960's sound in the production of it all. "Song For A Son" sounds like something you've heard on your classic rock station. Corgan is also trying to state something with the two solos that ride the song by clouds of Nostalgia, that he is quite the "Guitar Hero." "Widow Wake My Mind" is the obvious, playful single with floaty keys and wonky "OHs." It wants to be a punk song I fricken swear, but it becomes, again, this 60's-ish song that glides us into the next and probably best track on the EP, "A Stitch In Time." This track is probably the most amazing thing that TSP has put out in quite some years. Corgan plays the sitar wonderfully, yet...

The lyrics of the song is like some Bob Dylan b-side. Kind of like a protest song. "A Stitch In Time" lyrically takes me on a journey by sailboat, disapproving of... Something haha. Corgan is trying to be, well, Corgan. WTF lyrics touching you somehow, on the verge of not even making sense, yet, being something you've been wanting to hear for years. I gotta say I love it. Even though "Song For A Son's" lyrics are kinda stupid, Corgan's conviction in what he is singing is what grabs you. He STILL sounds all nasally and all like he did in 1995, and he don't give a hoot. Its Billy. Being Billy. And he is on his A-game.

If your not going back to listen to "Song For A Son" for its solos, you've put "A Stitch In Time" on your iPod and it grew on you. I love this new Corgan, re-filled with a sense of adventure. I can't wait for the next 41 releases. "Willow Wake My Mind," meh. I suggest you go download these songs, they are amazing in every sense and may make you forget the Pumpkins of the 90s for just 10 minutes.

Teej212
    you shouldnt put reviews up if you dont even know the name of one of the songs, its widow wake my mind, not willow
    onthelongview
    So far I love whats been put out, Song for a son is amazing. Widow I think has been getting a bit of unfair criticism if Billy had released the album as a whole...well like 12 song wholes, I think people would have liked it more and would have been more willing to let the song grow on them. Stitch in time is okay, teargarden theme interesting...and astral planes uhhh...could have been great, major lack in lyrics and a bit repetitive
    FenderMaster
    Raysaaark wrote: Alright, Now the Smashing Pumpkins are one of my Favorite bands of all time. And I find it hard to say anything bad about Billy, But he is not the smashing pumpkins. Sorry, But Yes, what has been released thus far has been stellar! But I don't think that I am the only one who is missing D'arcys driving bass. And 44 tracks? not so unusual for TSP. Considering that Mellon Collie had almost 60 written songs for it.
    Well actually, Billy is the Smashing Pumpkins, didn't he record all the guitar and bass parts for Siamese Dream himself? So really it's Billy and Jimmy, but yeah, Billy Corgan can make a Smashing Pumpkins album on his own, no doubt, and the new tracks are great, I really wish there ws a CD release!