Zeitgeist review by The Smashing Pumpkins

• Released: Jul 10, 2007
The Smashing Pumpkins: Zeitgeist

Smashing Pumpkins' latest release, Zeitgeist, has an overall great sound. The thick guitar riffs mixed with ringing vocals and innovative drum beats make for an aweasome listen. I bought the extended version and I have to say the only song I don't really like is Pomp and Circumstances. I think that this album is headed in a different direction, but the sound lives on. The moderate use of strings like violin mix well with Billy Corgan's vocals. There are some great guitar licks on Tarantula. The delay effect and guitar on the intro of Stellar is perfectly harmonic. The use of vibrato is great. The sound is just phenomenal.

The lyrics in Zeitgeist are very down to Earth. I connected with a lot of the songs. Smashing Pumpkins did a great job mixing the lyrics with the music. I found Starz to have very enlightening lyeics.Also the battle-like lyrics of (Come On)Let's Go! are inspiring to say the least. Billy Corgan has one of the best voices in today's era of rock. His arsenal of tone is widespread and is used well.

I stongly support this album. I think that it is righteous in sound and lyrics. When I tried to find a comparable album I really struggled. The best job I could do was to compare Jimmy Chamberlin's progressive drum beats to that of Rush and The Police. I love how the songs are sweet and sour. They'll play a heavy guitar riff, and then slow it down and then repeat. I do not like the soft sound of Pomp and Circumstance, but other than that minor flaw this album is incredible. If it were stolen I'd rush back to the store and buy another copy along with sone other Smashing Pumpkins album. I highly reccomend this album for both longtime fans and new fans.

potty_pete24
    i love the pumpkins the new ep is awesome and i love tarantula and thats the way my love is siamese dream is still my favourite but billy rocks what a ledgend!!
    bassetrox
    Oh well, i like machina the most of all the old albums, so I'm quite keen on "that's the way". All the sp albums have had to grow on me individually, so I'm quite willing to give this one its fair shot, I like what I've heard so far on 1 listen through. I've got 2 weeks to get to know it before i see them in manchester. Tarantula was great at leeds, so i have high hopes.
    bassetrox
    also, i could never understand a word of what he was singing anyway... he can sing nursery rhymes for all i care, i just like the way the sound of his voice fits in the band.
    70'sdude
    Zeitgeist just sounds like Billy aslapped Smashing pumpkins on the album to make it sell better. No one would have paid any attention to this album if it had been a Billy Corgan solo record, which it basically is. Even though Billy Corgan was the mastermaind behind The Pumpkins, the band was called The Smashing pumpkins, not Billy Corgan and The Smashign Pumpkins, so the album should've featured all the original members. I was so excited to hear the new album, and even after I was dissappointed by "Tarantula" after hearing it on the radio, I went out and bought it. But it was a waste of money. I'm gonna go listen to the REAL Smashign Pumpkins now, Gish here I come.