Meat Is Murder review by The Smiths

• Released: Feb 11, 1985
The Smiths: Meat Is Murder

In the 80's, up the point of Meat is Murder, The Smiths had experienced commercial popularity, but not to the point of a number 1 hit. With Meat Is Murder, the band got exactly that. In my personal opinion, Meat is Murder is my favourite Smiths album, The Whole album is crawling with lovely jangly riffs, impossible chords, Morrissey's unique soothing voice and Johnny Marr's wonderfully composed music all add to the beautiful atmosphere of the album. Each track has it's own life, and unique feel, but combines it with The Smiths own jangle pop feel. 01.The Headmaster Ritual: one of my personal favourites, The lyrics are well planned out, and they make the listener stop and take in the meaning of them, Jonny Marr's lovely jangle riffs control the song, making it seem as if Johnny Marr is controlling all of the band members parts. Andy Rourke's fantastic bassline, is nearly as melodic as Johnny's guitar parts. 02.Rusholme Ruffians: in my personal opinion, a rather weak track for the album, Nevertheless the acoustic guitar has a very rockabilly feel to the track, and Morrisseys Deep, personal lyrics make the song a very thought provoking performance. 03.I Want The One I Can't Have: fantastic song, and probably the most Smiths-Esqu songs off the album, sounds very poppy, the guitar is very jangly, and the drums add a jumpy, dancy feel to the song. 04.What She Said: amazing song, very fast, and all the while too short. Is Noticebly different from most of Johnny Marr's other guitar work, the drums add a big impact, making the song fast paced, and jumpy, like a rollercoaster, Andy Rourke's bass guitar work is fantastic, and add's a kind of funk element to the song, like it's moving the song along. 05.That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore: possibly my favourite song off the album, Johnny Marr's lovely gentle acoustic guitar work, and Morrisseys gentle, soothing Lyrics work in basic harmony together, and the result is fantastic, Andy Rourkes Bassline is slightly Boring for a Song off the album, In Sharp contrast to the Helter Skelter dynamics of the other songs. 06.How Soon is Now: fantastic song!, Intensely Depressing but still catchy!, The Drums drive the song like a powerhouse, and it's easy to find oneself tapping along to it and Johnny Marr's Unique guitar sounds add to the majority of the song, One Annoying thing about the track is that Andy Rourkes Bass Guitar Work is Almost Inaudible In the song, apart from the odd bass fill, Morrissey's lyrics of how a nervous person struggles to fit in at a nightclub make the listener feel genuine sorrow for the person involved, and his painful delivery all adds to the sorrow and depressing feel of the song. It displays the Smith's Unique ability to balance a pop Sensibility with depressing Lyrics. 07.Nowhere Fast: one of the least popular tracks off the album, but I love it, The songs catchy jumpy drum beat, and acoustic guitar all add to a folkish, rockabilly feel to the song, while the jangly guitar of Johnny Marr adds the unique Smiths feel to it, and the guitar solo wouldn't sound of place on a country western. Not really sure what the lyrics are about, but they appear to make sense at any rate. 08.Well I Wonder: well I wonder is a fantastic song, it has lovely gentle acoustic rhythm and the bass guitar accompanies this very well, I would say it's the most ballady song on the album, and has very mournful singing from Morrissey. Which later turns to Falsetto singing. However, what makes the song for me, is Johnny Marr's joyful acoustic guitar riff at the end. 09.Barbarism Begins At Home: probably my favourite song on the entire album, At over 6 minutes long, it's rather long and drawn out, but Andy Rourkes fantastic funk bass rhythms and Johnny Marr's Accompanying jangle Riffs All Add to an incredibly addictive song. Morrisseys Deep, meaningful lyrics, and Strange Barks add to the a delightfully strange and Meaningful song. 10.Meat Is Murder: personally, I think it's the weakest song on the album, it has good instrumentation, but just seems slightly long and drawn out, it's intensely meaningful and leaves a mark on the listening, Johnny Marr's and Andy Rourkes sustained notes leave the song, slow and daunting. In conclusion I would say that Meat is Murder is one of my favourite albums of all time, Morrisseys unique singing and Johnny And Andy's unique compelling guitar work stood in stark contrast to the music of the day, and it's timeless, to a 14 year old boy, the music still sounds more original than many music of today, and it should stand like that for a while to come.

Morrisseys Lyrics Are Fantastic, he puts his own unique lyrical spin on each song on the album, each of them has it's own persnaltiy, whether it be depressing or poppy. For Me, he's up there with some of the greatest lyricists of all time, and his lyrics really make me think about Morrissey's deep mournful voice may sound like he's just been to a longlost relatives funeral, but it can take on many forms, it can be very happy and joyful, it can be playful and Sarcastic, and it can be meaningful, and Depressing. He's a very skilled singer, and can show the mood of each song just as it is, For me, his low brooding voice is one of the key components to each song of the Smiths.

Meat is murder is one of my favourite albums of all time, along with Nirvana's Nevermind, Smashing Pumpking's Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness and Feeder's Polythene. Barbarism Begins at Home, And That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore are the best songs off the album in my opinion and and I think they bear significant importance to me. I Love the way that Johnny Marr's Lovely Jangly Riffs, and Andy Rourke's Fantastic Funky Basslines meld together, and the way that Morissey's voice comes together with it, there is practically nothing I hate about the album. I keep it under lock and key, noone can steal it from me.

josepharmillei
    When i seen an update for The Smiths i feared the worst in that someone had actually bought the new Smiths best of and listened to it. This is my favourite album by The Smiths at the moment and my favourite track is Well I Wonder. As stated, the acoustic riff at the end by Marr is just joyous.
    ---Bigmouth---
    Nowhere fast isn't one of the least popular tracks! It was The Smiths only number one single, which proves it was very popular!
    swave75
    Good I love this album. It hasn't aged a bit. How Soon is Now? is my all-time favorite song to this day. Great review!