The Smiths review by The Smiths

• Released: Mar 19, 1984
The Smiths: The Smiths

The Smiths are one of the greatest British bands in history. They combined the fantastic guitar playing of Johnny Marr and the brilliant but often baffling lyrics of lead singer Morrissey. The Smiths were like a breath of fresh air to British guitar based music which was being taken over by boring, electronic new romantics such as The human League in Britain. They have inspired a countless amount of bands over the years such as Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, Blur, and even the likes of Fall Out Boy to name a few. Their debut album is a landmark album and here are the songs: 01. Reel Around The Fountain - great opener to the album, has strange lyrics though. 02. You've Got Everything Now - great track in which Morrissey boasts about never having a job because he doesn't want one. 03. Miseravble Lie - one of the albums weaker tracks but still not bad, starts off slow but then changes tempo very quickly half way through. 04. Pretty Girls Make Graves - great song which is quite strange and I have no idea what Morrissey's on about here. 05. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle - brilliant song which stays the same the whole way through. Could be about a paedophile but who knows? 06. This Charming Man - absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite Smiths songs ever! fantastic guitar work, the best song on the album in my opinion. 07. Still Ill - again a brilliant song and a highlight of the album where Morrissey claims he'll spit in your eye if you ask him why he doesn't know if the body rules the mind or the mind rules the body. 08. Hand In Glove - another fantastic song with brilliant guitar work from Johnny Marr. 09. What Difference Does It Make - the second best song on the album in my opinion. Classic. 10. I Don't Owe You Anything - good song with a very slightly reggaeish guitar. 11. Suffer Little Children - brilliant lyrics about the Moors Murders, great end to the album.

I wish I could rate the lyrics higher than 10 but unfortunately I cannot. Morrissey is next to Noel Gallagher, Kurt Cobain and John Lennon in the greatest lyricists of all time category. He sometimes writes about real life in a surreal way and a lot of the Smith's songs are quite funny in some parts and quite sad and depressing in others.

My overall impression of the album is that it is fantastic album with some of the best guitar work and best lyrics of all time. It is one of the greatest debut albums of all time and will always have a proud place in my CD collection. If the album was stolen I'd be highly annoyed but would forgive the thief as he or she obviously has good taste.

rob ryan
    probably shouldn't take this review seriously i wrote it when i was 14 i still ****ing love it but i think i understand it more haha
    ---Bigmouth---
    I live and breathe The Smiths so I obviously love this album. It's got some fantastic tracks but overall, it's not their best album. Have a listen to The Queen Is Dead for some pure Smiths tunes. writing articles about the Smiths at 14 eh? I'm impressed! Bigmouth.
    gravis
    I owned this when it was released and i dont think This Charming Man was on this album. But could be wrong
    nowherefast
    ---Bigmouth--- wrote: Noel Gallagher, a great lyricist! He doesn't even write the lyrics, Liam Gallagher does!
    noel was the main song writer . liam didnt get a song on an album till SOTSOG. the fourth album. since then he's only had about half a dozen songs on the three albums that followed. music no a days would be alot different if this album wasn't made, it would be alot more shite.
    swave75
    I love "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" and "Pretty Girls Make Graves". The whole thing rules though!!!