Lover, The Lord Has Left Us Review

The Sound of Animals Fighting: Lover, The Lord Has Left Us
Release Date: May 16, 2006
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Rock
Lover's expansion into alternative genres, alternative sounds, and alternative media qualifies TSOAF, further this time, as a major pioneering entity in the search for new modes of musical expression and meaning.
review (1) 20 comments vote for this album:
Lover, The Lord Has Left Us Reviewed by: ObscuredByLight, on june 02, 2006

Sound: There's only one word to descibe the new TSOAF album: different. It's different from what I'm used to hearing. It's different from what the guys in the band put out with their normal bands. Its different from The Tiger and The Duke. Its not nearly as guitar driven as TTATD or anything else. I'm not really sure what its driven by exactly, but on Stockhausen I heard that they used kitchen appliances etc. There's a fine line between experimental and desperate and I think it might have just been crossed. There's sanskrit chanting/praying in about every other song. Some might enjoy that, but I find it unbearable and hope that they release versions without it in the near future. Basically, its too different from its own good. // 7

Lyrics: In the songs that one can understand the singer, the lyrics are pretty well written. In fact, I personally love the lyrics, especially in St. Broadrick and The Heretic. The chanted/whatever songs really get on my nerves though. I just simply can not see what they were going for with that. I think that Skullflower and a few others would have been such great songs had there not been any chanting in it. This Heat probably has the best lyrics on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of the 14 tracks on this album I think only 6 are worth anyones time. I can see that TSOAF went in a much different direction with this album than TTaTD, and hopefully they will go in a much, much different direction with their next release from lover songs that I find worth listening to My Horse Must Lose, Horses In The Sky, This Heat, The Heretic, St. Broadrick is in Antarctica. Half of this album should not have been released. This will hopefully be the worst blunder in the history of TSOAF. // 7

Comments