The Ocean And The Sun review by The Sound of Animals Fighting

• Released: Sep 9, 2008
The Sound of Animals Fighting: The Ocean And The Sun

When I first heard the music to the Ocean and the Sun, I was a little disappointed that it lacked a sort of "passion" to it. But for some odd reason, after listening to it over and over again, I've found a sort of love to it that exposed it self if you listen deeply inside the music and lyrics. You get this "need" to want to listen to the music again. For example, Cellophane is a song that had a sound from The Tiger and the Duke, and it gave you this feeling of "what if?" I don't know if TSOAF has this effect on other people but they have ways of getting inside your mind. As in Uzbekistan, Lauren Coleman speaks words of wondrous questions, like "What are you thinking?" in a whisper. Matt Embree and Anthony Green have their own melodic music. Just their voices alone would qualify for their own album. I The Swan is an excellent example of their music. Starting out with low harmony with Matt and it progresses through the music with Matt's vocals along with children reciting the song near the middle. Near the end, the grand feeling of what this band is really about, is when Anthony Green amazes everyone with his soprano voice.

The lyrics in this album, along with the other two will always be questionable until the band themselves actually releases the lyrics. In Uzbekistan, near the end, a poem or something along the lines of one is recited. It explains how we should live our life and how we should appreciate every second of it. You won't get this lyrical sense anywhere else. There is another poem in The Ocean and The Sun, and the lyrics were released to the poem and the whole song. This poem talks about success and how one person can make the world a better place. Lude is an instrumental that doesn't contain lyrics. I have always thought of Lude as an "interlude" but with a shortened title. In Wikiepedia it states that it's "not" a reference to the character Lude in The House of Leaves. Ahab is one minute of static and a voice reciting something about being "In the desert". Most of the albums lyrics are hard to define. Unfortunately because of this, points are taken off. I know absolutely that their lyrics have great meaning, but it kills me that I don't know what those lyrics are.

The Sound of Animals Fighting has the only sound I've ever heard. It absolutely has the same sound as their previous albums, mainly Lover the Lord has Left Us. I give all the kudos in the world to the songs Cellophane, The Heraldic Beak of the Manufactures Medallion, Uzbekistan, and Blessing Be Yours Mister V. The only thing I missed from this album was this "messed up, what the hell" sound that I've always appreciated, like the Overture in The Tiger and the Duke. I appreciate that The Ocean and the Sun has again reached into us and showed us meaning to real music. And you have to appreciate music A lot to really like The Sound of Animals Fighting. I hope they will again make a new album in the future that will amaze us yet again!

garf69
    and i believe its rich singing the low part in i the swan, he also sings on cellophane
    tfotguitarist
    Stephen Crane In the Desert In the desert I saw a creature, naked, bestial, Who, squatting upon the ground, Held his heart in his hands, And ate of it. I said, "Is it good, friend?" "It is bitter bitter", he answered, "But I like it Because it is bitter, And because it is my heart." that is the poem from Ahab. I really like this cd, but i don't think it is as good as Lover the Lord Has Left Us. But then again it always takes a little while to really get into a sound of animals fighting cd and truly appreciate
    kacybraying
    First off, Matt Embree is not the main singer with Anthony Green on this album, Rich Balling is. Matt sings back up in most of the songs and lead in "Blessings Be Yours Mister V." He is also the lead guitarist for them. Rich sang in all of the songs from Tiger and The Duke as well. I loved how they brought back The Wolf? to sing in "On The Occasion of Wet Snow." I love the style that he sings in when the song picks up. I do wish that you could understand a lot of the lyrics better, but you couldn't really in any of their other albums, so why start complaining about it now? They're still amazing no matter what.
    kacybraying
    sexclamation
    kacybraying wrote: P.S. I was talking to Wade, the guitarist for Alexisonfire the other day at Warped Tour and he'd never even heard of TSOAF. He was like "Anthony Green and a ska band (Rx Bandits)?" I just thought it was funny.
    That's crazy that he's never heard of them. Did you give him a hug for being amazing? Alexisonfire is probably the best live show I've been to.
    psorgatz
    This album is epic, there isn't a bad song on it. By far TSOAF's best
    psorgatz
    This album is epic; there isn't a bad song on it. By far, this TSOAF's best work
    dennis030
    One of my favorite albums of all time. Instrumentals 10/10 Lyrics 10/10 Impression 11/10 Vocals are a little sloppy at times... so.. 6/10 Overall 9/10. If you havent bought it yet: Its Time
    rmzeppelin1919
    i know this was primarily a positive review but i really wish the reviewers of this band would do some research before they decide to type stupid shit. i really don't find it hard to differentiate the voices of Rich Balling and Matt Embree. but obviously no one else can lol. anywho, this album is effing sick. possibly their best, which is pretty hard to say since the rest of their material was so amazing. its just a damn shame they won't come back and do a nationwide tour seeing as how balling is doing, well nothing and RX broke up.