The Tiger And The Duke review by The Sound of Animals Fighting

• Released: Feb 14, 2005
The Sound of Animals Fighting: The Tiger And The Duke

I will admit that it is very easy to dismiss The Sound Of Animals Fighting as simply Mars Volta rip-offs. There are many similarities in the music styles and song structures. Ambient spaced out noise sections blend into frantic rythmic mayhem. Basically its the hardcore mars volta. But these guys deserve credit. The technicality impressed me, as well as some of the actually nice melodies that were put out. These guys have the talent, they just seem to lack the experience at this point.

Despite the fact that TSOAF tries to keep their identities secret behind their animal masks, it's pretty damn obvious that Anthony Green (Circa Survive) is the lead singer. And he is great as usual. His vocals soar, yet complement the songs, rather than become the highlight of them, which is rather nice. In terms of lyrics, they all draw from a story, making this a concept album, and a pretty damn interesting concept at that.

Members of TSAOF come from Circa Survive, RX Bandits, and Finch, and pretty much if you're a fan of any of those bands, this will appeal to you. Of course, The Mars Volta comparisons are impossible to avoid. Hopefully, Mars fans won't just write this off. The only failure this album has is in its instrumental interludes. Perhaps if the interludes actually were played by insruments, rather than just spacey noise, they would be more impressive. Nonetheless, the 4 actual songs on this EP are fantastic.

lessthanweezer7
    TMV is a much more talented and interesting band (to me) but TSOAF is really coming into their own as a band. Matt Embree's skills on a guitar are awesome.
    SheeBassMasta
    why compare them, stuhfoo, they're both amazing in different ways, both experimental, but in completely different ways, neither is better than the other, just..."different", but as far as a cd goes, i didn't enjoy the interludes myself...and i love weird shit...but they were boring to me, however acts I-IV are just ****ing epic, hxc to the max, and in a new fashion, complete with squidley guitar and a jazz breakdown, and STILL manages to be experimental and hxc, all should love those 4 songs