The Tiger And The Duke review by The Sound of Animals Fighting

• Released: Feb 14, 2005
The Sound of Animals Fighting: The Tiger And The Duke

The intermissions and things like that, they're decent but not too interesting. Just quick little thinigs in there to blend the actual songs, and the songs themselves are the perfect examples of how to do progressive rock with a slight hardcore twist. You can point out a few of their styles right off the bat (in Chasing Suns), such as the drummer for prog-ska band RX Bandits.

The lyrics aren't anything terribly special(though Acts II and III have some nice work), but in the singing department we have Anthony Green, Rich Balling, Matthew Embree, and Matthew Kelly, and they all do their parts really, really well. The lyrics go just fine with the music, which is the more important part of the overall sound.

This band is one of the best ideas I've ever heard of; this album is one of the best I've ever heard. Anything with a title that doesn't sound like "Overture", "Intermission", or "Postlude" is masterful. Lyrics aren't impressive, but the way they're done are. My only gripe is that they couldn't do this again on their second album("Lover, The Lord Has Left Us...", Garbage/10). If my copy of Tiger ever got lost, I'd waste no time finding it. Stolen? I'd go all Tony Jaa on whoever did it.

rmzeppelin1919
    ummmm first of all, i barely hear any resemblance to the mars volta. i think if you guys are fans of the bands, and musicians (along with being musicians yourselves), you would be able to hear the distinct differences in writing styles, musical approach, and recording techniques. i think both bands are beautiful and chaotic and awesome in their own rights. all the members in TSAOF are extremely good at what they do and haven't ripped anyone off no matter what any of you say. hate if you want. don't care. second of all, minor issue, pretty sure matt kelly was NOT on this record. pretty positive he didn't come in till lover the lord has left us. with that said, decent review i suppose....
    s_o_mercury
    The lyrics aren't supposed to mean anything. The premise of this band is creating music that sounds good, regardless of what society says music should sound like. There's no meaning to the lyrics because Anthony Green wrote words that are pleasing to hear, not words that make sense. Some of the lyrics aren't even lyrics; they're just sounds. That's part of what makes this band so great; they're not trying to send a message or tell a story (in the music, anyway). They're just making music. Period.
    shnurs
    Infamou$17
    shnurs wrote: big fan of TMV but i just didnt get these guys i think there's a point where experimental turns into just plain silly.
    To be perfectly honest with you I think this album is pretty low=key compared to most TMV albums... however I will say this, to TMV's credit they at least have a few albums with a direction, TSOAF generally had no direction and this was as close as they ever came. I like experimental sh*t but if it has no direction it usually will not turn out so great... Amputechture was pretty good but not great, Bedlam in Goliath was meh, but the last two TSOAF albums seemed like they tried to top TMV in terms of doing way too much at one time, even with both of their most recent albums toning things down a bit. But the thing that saved the Volta's albums from being worse is the arrangement of everything, while none of the albums had a solid(if any) direction it seems like Omar made everything way tighter... everything at least sounds like it should coincide with the rest of the music even if it's not nearly as good as it could be. And in TSOAF's case (ex. Ocean/Sun) there was Tiger-esque riffing mixed with slow, Lover-esque vocals and there were things that were just way too far out of left field for the album's own good. The TSOAF trilogy is pretty much a shortened version of the Rocky movies with one great thing and every one subsequently getting worse until it's just plain bad. With that I say TMV is the best experimental prog out there today
    gtrplyr54
    how do you put these guys ahead of TMV????? insane, still good band though