The Tiger And The Duke Review

The Sound of Animals Fighting: The Tiger And The Duke
Release Date: Feb 14, 2005
Label: Stars And Satellites
Genres: Rock
Wwith "The Tiger And The Duke," they debuted with a solid, creative performance.
 9.6
 9.4
 9.8
The Tiger And The Duke Reviewed by: Zorrobudday, on december 08, 2005

Sound: I will admit that it is very easy to dismiss The Sound Of Animals Fighting as simply Mars Volta rip-offs. There are many similarities in the music styles and song structures. Ambient spaced out noise sections blend into frantic rythmic mayhem. Basically its the hardcore mars volta. But these guys deserve credit. The technicality impressed me, as well as some of the actually nice melodies that were put out. These guys have the talent, they just seem to lack the experience at this point. // 9

Lyrics: Despite the fact that TSOAF tries to keep their identities secret behind their animal masks, it's pretty damn obvious that Anthony Green (Circa Survive) is the lead singer. And he is great as usual. His vocals soar, yet complement the songs, rather than become the highlight of them, which is rather nice. In terms of lyrics, they all draw from a story, making this a concept album, and a pretty damn interesting concept at that. // 10

Overall Impression: Members of TSAOF come from Circa Survive, RX Bandits, and Finch, and pretty much if you're a fan of any of those bands, this will appeal to you. Of course, The Mars Volta comparisons are impossible to avoid. Hopefully, Mars fans won't just write this off. The only failure this album has is in its instrumental interludes. Perhaps if the interludes actually were played by insruments, rather than just spacey noise, they would be more impressive. Nonetheless, the 4 actual songs on this EP are fantastic. // 8

The Tiger And The Duke Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 06, 2007

Sound: The intermissions and things like that, they're decent but not too interesting. Just quick little thinigs in there to blend the actual songs, and the songs themselves are the perfect examples of how to do progressive rock with a slight hardcore twist. You can point out a few of their styles right off the bat (in Chasing Suns), such as the drummer for prog-ska band RX Bandits. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't anything terribly special(though Acts II and III have some nice work), but in the singing department we have Anthony Green, Rich Balling, Matthew Embree, and Matthew Kelly, and they all do their parts really, really well. The lyrics go just fine with the music, which is the more important part of the overall sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This band is one of the best ideas I've ever heard of; this album is one of the best I've ever heard. Anything with a title that doesn't sound like "Overture", "Intermission", or "Postlude" is masterful. Lyrics aren't impressive, but the way they're done are. My only gripe is that they couldn't do this again on their second album("Lover, The Lord Has Left Us...", Garbage/10). If my copy of Tiger ever got lost, I'd waste no time finding it. Stolen? I'd go all Tony Jaa on whoever did it. // 10

Comments