The Soviettes LP Review

The Soviettes: The Soviettes LP
Release Date: Jun 17, 2003
Label: Adeline
Genres: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
The Soviettes LP plays like a snapshot of a well-rehearsed live band. The recording, mixing, and mastering are just right, giving the album a full, rich sound.
 4.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Soviettes LP Reviewed by: stonyman65, on september 26, 2006

Sound: The Soviettes are a 4 piece (3 chicks, one dude) underground punk band from Minninapolis, Minnisota. Annie (guitar), Sturgeon (guitar), Susy (Bass) and Danny (drums) aren't your best musicains by any means, all of their songs have bratty powerchords and come in at just under 3 minutes. All four members chip in with vocals and many harmonies. The bands motto is "Everybody Sings" They all have good voices (most notably susy and annie) and the guitar is pretty good, nothing amazing like Vai or anything but verry punkish, rarely a guitar solo and 3 chord songs played double time. But the music still has it's hooks and that's what counts. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good. Some of the best lyrics I've heard since The Offspring. Most of the music is your basic punk, critsizing the president and how he runs the country, you know. The singers voices are good, Sturgeon's voice is okay, kind of raspy and deep for a girl but not bad. Danny's is really high pitched and he yells a lot and talks fast, he sounds a lot like the B52s guy too. Susy has a great voice with a bit of a Fargo, ND accent, she can also hit some pretty sweet steady highs. Annie is the same as susy but a bit deeper and better trained. Kinda mellow. // 9

Overall Impression: I first heard this band on the Rock Against Bush Vol.1 album. They played a song from their 3 album (an ingenious title, LP III) called "Parranoia Cha-Cha-Cha" The Soviettes are really a mix between the B-52s and The Ramones meets Black Sabbath at a party thrown for The Donnas. I might be me, but that is a good combination. My favorite songs from that album are "The Land Of Clear Blue Radio" and "9th Street" and the last track "Her Neon Heart" where all the girls sing at the same time. I just love the band all toghetr, the only thing I wish they would shred a little bit. I mean the band is great but hearing powerchords played in double time for almost 50 minutes without some type of pentatonic run or something can get kinda tiresome. If it where lost, I'd just burn the CD off my computer which has all the tracks backed up. If that fails, I'd just buy it again. If you are a fan of punk music and female (and some hyper high pitched B-52s-ish male vocals) then you should check this band out. They have the look, the hooks and the talent. What ealse do you need? // 10

Comments