No Really, I'm Fine Review

The Spill Canvas: No Really, I'm Fine
Release Date: Oct 2, 2007
Label: Sire
Genres: Emo, Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock
The album is punctuated throughout with songs that incorporate enough pop sensibility to appeal to casual listeners.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.4
 7.7
No Really, I'm Fine Reviewed by: Velvet_Angst, on january 22, 2008

Sound: The sound of this album goes along the lines of being more "pop" then anything else they have previously released. The hooks are hot and make you need to tap your toes, whether this is a good of bad thing is still up in the air. The guitars are a lot more electric compared to their previous albums, where a lot was done with acoustic guitars. In a way this seems like a departure from the acoustic indie band that I discovered when I first discovered The Spill Canvas, into a more grown up, radio friendly band. They may be leaving their roots behind, but nothing changes the fact that they are excellent musicians. The music moves the lyrics along nicely, the sickly sweet guitar riffs and the touching solos offer a brand a poetry found only when laying awake at 2 in the morning listening through a pair of headphones. All the instruments manage to produce together a feeling for each song, instead of being just the backing to the lyrics, like most new bands are doing, the music is actually part of the song. The highs and lows travel nicely across each track, emphasizing and building suspense very nicely. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are more grown up then the previous two albums. Much like with the music the lyrics take on a more radio-friendly look. Compared to their previous albums which often the songs contained references to obscure love and hate, this album takes a more straightforward approach. Leaving behind the talk of imaginary lovers and the such in the dust. They also take on such things as the pressure of the real world and dealing with real problems (not that love and girls are not real problems). The lyrics are sung very effectively, the singer still sings with that indie tinge that borders on inexperience and true emotion. He hits all his notes in line with the music but it is nothing extraordinary. The real beauty lies in the words themselves. They are all very poetic and moving. Yet, like all previous mention, they don't seem to compare to the previous albums by this band. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I previously stated this album doesn't quite stack up to the previous albums The Spill Canvas have released, but it is a good by none the less. Specifically if you are looking for the next big thing. The Spill Canvas are moving up in the musically world and it would be wise to jump on the band wagon now before it moves on. Songs such as "One Thing Is For Sure" and "Connect The Dots" Really showcase how intimate music can be, unlike a lot of music being released now this shows that a song can be lovely but not sickingly so. I hate that this band seems to be leaving behind it's roots, and some of it's fanbase. We fell in love with the acoustic beauty that was showcased on Sunsets and Car Crashes. I guess it is the way of everything to transcend the current and move onto the future. I hope that future is bright for this band. // 9

No Really, I'm Fine Reviewed by: Largebehind, on march 26, 2010

Sound: This is a subtle blend of emo, pop-rock and genius. I fell in love with this album after the first listen. The first song "Reckless Abandonment" kicks off the sound, toppling the first domino with resounding melodies and angelic vocals. The guitar is simple yet effective, leaving you no other option but to appreciate it. The album leads on to "All Over You" which in my opinion is the best song on the album, reminiscient of You Me At Six we are treated to Nick Thomas' beautiful voice, and a saddening mood is cast with delicate vocals and lyrics telling a tragedy worthy of Shakespeare himself; the final lyric 'Why Can't You Just Love Me Back' tugging at heartstrings and branding itself at the front of my mind. Musically this band reminds me of You Me At Six, Jamestown Story and in places Matchbox 20. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics in this album are simply poetic. They go between abrasive aggression "We are earthquakes, we are tidal waves. We're destruction at its finest" to melodic and tragic beauty "why can't you just love me back, why won't you just love me back" Although the lyrics in this album are, on the whole, simple and uncomplicated the tuneful deliverence of them hits as hard, possibly even harder, than lyrics that have loads of metaphors and imagery. The simplicity of them makes them easy to understand, widening the audience and making them easier to relate to and appreciate the emotion that's gone into the writing. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums from The Spill Canvas I prefer this to any other and would recommend this to any 'Spill Canvas Virgins' This album catches the guys at their finest and wraps up their sound in a nice neatly produced album. I love the way The Spill Canvas have taken an 'old', 'stagnated' sound and given it a new spin and freshening it. I would recommend the song "All Over You", "Reckless Abandonment" and "Battles" If this album was lost or damaged I would be straight out to the shops and I would replacing it whilst battling the temptation of completing the collection and buying the back catalogue. So go take a listen right now! You won't regret finding this band. // 10

Comments