Direction review by The Starting Line

• Released: Jul 31, 2007
The Starting Line: Direction

Upon first listening of this album, there wasn't much that I could say bad about the sound of this album. The Starting Line have never stood out to me as a massive band, sound-wise, but I can see with the sound on here why people listen to them. They have a very different sound that isn't that familiar with a lot of bands of the modern day. The drum beats, bass lines and guitars all stand out as something that's different to anything being produced by the rest of the bands in the charts at the moment. The Strating Line definatly have something going for them in their sound that works for them and thier audience. Although the sound of the band is very different in comparison to most things that I've heard lately, the arrangement of that sound on some tracks brings the album down slightly. Tracks like "Island" and "Way With Words" sound messy to me, somehow, and end up being tracks that I would prefare to skip, given the option.

On certain tracks, I like the singer's vocals, but on others, they annoy me. I have no doubt that he's a fantastic vocalist but, I noticed that he pushes his boundries just a bit too much on this album, which results in some bad vocals. It doesn't happen that often, but it's there. The writing of the lyrics on here are generally OK, to be kind. I noticed that in some of the tracks, the writing is very weak, and needs a lot of work before the enter my collection of favourites. The tracks that are worst for this have to be "Birds" and, possibly, "I Could Be Wrong". I think that the best about the vocal side of this album is the harmonies created with backing vocals. Combined with what the lead vocalist is singing, they sound beautiful (in the tracks where they are used). I havn't found that many bands out there that can create half decent harmonies between the backing and lead vocals, but The Starting Line manage it.

I have a lot of mixed feeling about this album. On some tracks, the music is great, but the lyrics are bad and on other tracks, it's the other way around. There's only one track that strikes me as a track that's balanced in both music and lyrics, and that's "Something Left To Give", which is mainly acoustic. This isn't an album that I would go out and buy personally, but it is a decent album, all the same. I doubt it will ever be their "legacy" or ever go down as a classic, but it will still be on the fans' mp4s and iPods until the next album arrives. Definately a good album, but it will only be anything better than that to fans, so it only gets a 7 for my overall impression.

therealltrain
    I am going to have to agree with almost everything you said. The Starting Line is easily in my top 5 favorite bands. This album's lyrics definitely lack. And Kenny definitely tries to do a little too much vocally on certain songs way with words in particular. Birds on the other hand i think is one of the better songs for the fans of starting line. and SOMETHING LEFT TO GIVE! is absolutely amazing. i could listen to it over and over and over again. I just got the album last night and have probably listened 6 times to that song. Hopefully they do come out with another album soon, because i don't think this one will keep my interest as long as silymi and boats did. I still suggest picking it up somehow if you're a fan. You won't be upset.
    Dobbin87
    this album is so much better than anyone will probably give them credit for. Probably their most mature and best yet.
    Saofan12
    starting lines awesome and they deserve the credit but dobbin is rite. whatever, great album, great sounding band, get it!
    nickel3t
    i love starting line but I honestly think they could have done better with this one and I honestly think that the first album is the best one...
    itry_itry
    they're trying to mature and its not my cup of tea to be honest, i prefer their older pop punk stuff, but hey thats my opinion. ill most likley buy it I AM ADDICTED TO MUSIC
    paramore_fans
    belavista man
    paramore_fans wrote: TSL really rocks!!! I love their new album DIRECTION!!!! my fav songs are DRIRECTION, HURRY, BIRDS, ISLAND, SOMETHING LEFT TO GIVE, WAY WITH WORDS, SOMEBODY'S GONNA MISS US and 21 which I already tabbed!!! Please rate those tabs!!!! Kenny's voice is more mature, lyrics are mature too. And this band shouldn't be labeled as crappy EMO nowadays. I think that Kenny's role is not that easy. It's very rare to find a vocalist that also do technical bass lines simultaneously!!!! He's like Mark Hoppus of Blink 182/+44 or Tyson Ritter of ALL AMERICAN REJECTS!!!
    ...or Sting? The more famous of the three lol