Direction review by The Starting Line

• Released: Jul 31, 2007
The Starting Line: Direction

For a couple years I've tuned into listening to The Starting Line and I have always loved there stuff. I started drumming to there first CD when it came out. They have been a milestone in their genre of music for teenagers, and me being apart of that statment, can say right away say I was highly anticipating this upcoming release of Direction. They have really fused the old starting line punk-pop that was so catchy when they first came out, with the new positive feeling upbeat music they have added on this album. Every track is a different style, different guitar sound, nice drum beats, and singing. While the singing sometimes feels repeated on this album, it is afterall 12 tracks of the same voice. There isnt much bad I can say about this album, sound wize.

The lyrics to this have been really brought out by kennys new scream we haven't heard that much of. On the song direction, it is clearly brought out and gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it. His higher notes are more eligant and clean then on previous albums. The voice of kenny mashed up with the music fits perfectly. The timing of both the guitar and singing must have been rehearsed a great amount to get it right. He has generally improved his overall singing a good amount while still keeping that starting line feel we all love and enjoy.

This albums stands on it's own as a good peice of art from the band that had so much to live up to. It's not a masterpeice by any means, but it's a CD that I could listen to everyday in the car ride to school or to the gym. The most impressive songs on this album would have to be Direction due to the singing, Island due to the overall sound, Birds due to the lyrics, and what you want due to guitar. The thing I most love about this album is that it really paints a picture to you while listening to it, you feel like your other senses kick in more then other things youve listened to. It really creates a picture in your mind. This is deffinatly a good CD to buy, and even rebuy if stolen or ruined.

therealltrain
    yeah why would you compare kenny to someone from the all american rejects? even though tsl hasn't gained as much mainstream popularity as aar, they are still a better band and he is a better musician.