Say It Like You Mean It review by The Starting Line

• Released: Jul 16, 2002
The Starting Line: Say It Like You Mean It

So sweet... really emo pop rock but so sweet... these guys brought such a hated genre (by musicians) to true music. Four guys in the band, a bassist/vocalist, two guitarist, and a drummer. Not a lot of innovation, it's their first lp. its pretty sweet production, and their guitar isnt too shameful. Nice little licks, just so appealing.

So so lyrics, not bad. But I don't think people listen for their lyrics as they do Kenny Vasoli's voice and just the total effect of the songs. Not ALWAYS so moving or touching or sad, just so fun to listen to, so well done. Lyrics work with this emo pop music, and Kenny's voice is a little deeper. Nate Barcalow of finch takes the screaming roles in cheek to cheek and this ride, probably the only two SLIGHTLY more alternative songs.

Did it compare to other albums (artists)? first album What are most impressive songs from the album? for me? Has to be this ride, almost there going nowhere, hello houston, the best of me, up and go, given the chance, cheek to cheek, leavings alright. What do you love about it? what do you hate? I love the songs and the fact that they took unoriginal genres and made them awesome. I don't hate but dont like the song "decisions, decisions"... only unoriginal chord progression on the album. Live they're getting better than before. If it were stolen or lost, I'm not quite sure if I'd buy it again, cus I've listened to it too much. I'm christian, and i love this cd so much I gave it up for lent... Then i listened to it non stop. So I warn you not to overdo it.