With Hopes Of Starting Over review by The Starting Line

• Released: Jul 17, 2001
  • Users' score: 1 (1 vote)
The Starting Line: With Hopes Of Starting Over

This is The Starting Line's debut E.P. on Drive-Thru records. Put simply, it's great. It has a much more raw sound than their new cd, Say it Like You Mean it. Less produced, i'd say. So, it starts out with the original version of "Leaving". One of the first songs i learned on guitar, actually. They really shouldn't have re-recorded it for the new cd. It sounds much better here. The second track is the other song that was re-recorded for the new cd, "Saddest Girl Story". Nothing special. The third song, coincidentally named "Three's a Charm", is definetely the climax of the cd. It starts out with a nice acoustic intro, good bass, and then WHAM! into the verse. It has a really catchy chorus (what am i talking about, ALL the starting line choruses are catchy) that makes good use of the singer Kenny Vasoli's almost unnaturally high voice. Then comes "Greg's Last Day", a song about one of Kenny's good friends moving away. It's a fast, catchy 2 minute song. Pretty decent. They close the cd with a cover of a pop song from the 80's, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now". I read somewhere that they wanted to cover it because they heard it on a hits compilation in a used cd rack. I also read that they never play it live because it's really hard to sing. It has a good solo in the middle, I guess a mediocre cover of a song that I never heard the original version of. Overall, a good debut cd. It's really worth the 7 bucks. A very good example of raw, poppy poppy poppy punk-emo. Run out and get it if you're a fan of bands like New Found Glory, Yellowcard, All-American Rejects, etc.