Logic Will Break Your Heart review by The Stills

• Released: Oct 21, 2003
The Stills: Logic Will Break Your Heart

These guys go for a unmistakeably 80s sound, that always makes me think of the music you hear in Donnie Darko - that alternative stuff like INXS, Tears For Fears, etc. I don't usually like bands with synthesiser effects on their songs, but The Stills are something else altogether. The drummer's the best, though, especially that beat he gets on Changes Are No Good; so frantic and powerful, but easily under control. The guitar sound is awesome - simplistic, but atmospheric - the solos, when they pop their heads up, are reminiscent of The Doors' Robby Krieger, and his thoughtful instrumentals. I know it takes all the group to create the sound, but the drummer is still the star of the album in my eyes.

The vast majority of lyrics involve love, excepting one song about Animals & Insects not doing drugs. The title of the album alone is pure poetry - "Logic Will Break Your Heart". The singer (I don't know what his name is; my girlfriend lent me the album and I copied it onto my PC - I'm listening to it now) has his moments, but I'm not actually sure whether he's american or not - his voice varies between songs. They really have it on the lyrics front, though - check this out from "Lola Stars & Stripes": "Can you take me back to that place where stars glow? Come, let's swarm like fireflies, outside your window" and the immortal refrain - "Are you afraid? You always said the world would never last... but are you afraid?" That, guitarists and music lovers everywhere, is first class, original songwriting.

"Changes Are No Good", "Love and Death", "Lola Stars & Stripes", "Still In Love Song" and "Alison Krausse" are the ones that really get me. I couldn't possibly say what other bands they sound like - I don't know many 80s alternative bands. The Stills create the same sort of mood in this album as Tears For Fears and INXS, but their actual sound is very much unique. The only substantial criticism I can think of is the synthesisers on "Animals & Insects" and "Ready For It" - like I said before, I'm not a huge fan of synthesisers. In fact, I hate synthesisers. So I usually skip these tracks. I love the rest of it, though. Check this album out, I'm serious. I might buy it just so I can say I own it. Since I don't own it at this moment in time, I couldn't say whether I'd buy it a second time - especially since I haven't bought the first time yet. It's fantastic nonetheless, so the next time you're trawling around the record store, look this one up.