Fun House review by The Stooges

• Released: Dec 18, 1970
The Stooges: Fun House

This album has one of the best production qualities for all albums before 1971. The guitars and drums are very clear, and Iggy's voice is at the forefront. On the last 3 tracks (1970, Funhouse, L.A Blues) the saxophone parts are very crisp and don't overpower the band. The best part of all this? Somehow, it sounds like they are playing just for you. Some of my favorite things about the band at this point is that Ron Asheton (R.I.P) learned how to play guitar with more confidence, and overall his style became more punk; Scott Asheton's drumming got more tight and groovy; Dave Alexander's bass became more punk and more complex, while (my favorite of all) is that Iggy final got some attitude and sings extremely well. From the scream on 'T.V Eye', to the screeching parts of '1970', he evolved much. Overall, a vast improvement from their debut album.

Iggy rules; that's indisputable. The Stooges would not be the Stooges without him (not to belittle the importance of the rest of the band). While he is not the best songwriter, he doesn't have to be, because it's punk. The lyrics here are longer and more structured than their debut, and Iggy (as I said) sings with more attitude (alot more attitude).

I've owned this album for a whole day (currently) and I absolutely love it. If you own their debut, and you think that's awesome (which it is), buy this. It'll blow your mind. The maturing the band did between the two albums is immeasurable. All the songs are amazing (not to say some aren't weak I.e L.A Blues). And as the way to always close a good review, if it was lost/stolen, I'd buy it again without a thought (and maim the thief).